This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.8712 / 51°52'16"N
Longitude: 0.6837 / 0°41'1"E
OS Eastings: 584850
OS Northings: 222588
OS Grid: TL848225
Mapcode National: GBR QKD.RN2
Mapcode Global: VHJJL.S7SC
Entry Name: John H King and Sons Limited
Listing Date: 6 September 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1123105
English Heritage Legacy ID: 116240
Location: Coggeshall, Braintree, Essex, CO6
Civil Parish: Coggeshall
Built-Up Area: Coggeshall
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex
Church of England Parish: Coggeshall with Markshall
Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford
TL 8422-8522 COGGESHALL WEST STREET
9/210 No. 22 (John H. King
and Sons Ltd)
House and office, now offices. Early C19, altered in later C19. Gault and red
brick in Flemish bond, roofed with slate. Approximately square plan facing SE,
with original office wing to right, and later C19 wing to rear right connecting
it to mill, which is not included in this item. 2 storeys. The front elevation
and left return of the main house are of gault brick, the rest of red brick,
with gault stacks. The front elevation and part of the right return of the
office wing are of gault brick, with a gault stack, the remainder of red brick.
The rear wing is of red brick with a gault stack. Front elevation, 3-window
range of original sashes of 12 lights with flat arches, crown glass, and blind
boxes. Central double doors, fanlight and side lights, in semi-elliptical arch
of gauged brick. One stone step with 2 scrolled cast iron bootscrapers. Long
overhanging eaves, hipped roof of shallow pitch. The front elevation of the
office wing has an archway with semi-elliptical head, leading through to an
original casement of 4 lights and marginal lights; plain parapet, hipped roof.
The left return has a full-height splayed bay with 3 sashes of 12 lights at each
storey, with crown glass, plastered between storeys, and one sash of 12 lights
at each storey, with crown glass and flat arches. The rear elevation has a late
C19 single-storey splayed bay with French window with semi-circular head, and an
original sash above, of 12 lights with segmental arch. The right return of the
main house has one similar sash at each storey. The right return of the office
wing is plastered on the lower storey, and has on the upper storey one early C19
horizontal sash of 8+8 lights with crown glass. The large central entrance-hall
has a semi-elliptical arch with fluted pilasters, and a geometrical stair with
wreathed moulded handrail, 2 slender twist-turned balusters to each step and
encircling a fluted newel, all of mahogany, and fretted tread-ends of unusual
design. Niche with domical head in rear wall of stair. 6-panel doors and other
original internal detailing. Owned by John Hall from 1839 to 1863 in connection
with his Orchard Silk Mill, to the rear, but possibly built earlier (H. Benham,
Some Essex Water Mills, 1976, 62).
Listing NGR: TL8485022588
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings