This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.8791 / 51°52'44"N
Longitude: 0.7166 / 0°42'59"E
OS Eastings: 587084
OS Northings: 223548
OS Grid: TL870235
Mapcode National: GBR QKG.20V
Mapcode Global: VHKG2.C1Q9
Entry Name: Houchin's Farmhouse
Listing Date: 2 May 1953
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1123187
English Heritage Legacy ID: 116035
Location: Coggeshall, Braintree, Essex, CO6
Civil Parish: Coggeshall
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex
Church of England Parish: Coggeshall with Markshall
Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford
TL 82 SE COGGESHALL
6/4 Houchin's Farmhouse
House. Circa 1590, altered in C20. Timber framed, plastered, roofed with
handmade red plain tiles. Main range of 5 bays aligned E-W, with central stack;
3 storeys and cellar. 3-bay service range to N of W end with one axial stack;
one storey and attic. All windows are C20 metal casements, including 5 in
hipped dormers in service range. Double half-glazed doors to S. The S and W
elevations of the main range are jettied at first and second floors. The roof
of the main range has a gablet hip at the W end, a gable at the E end, which is
tile-hung; stack rebuilt above roof level in C20, with 7 octagonal shafts. The
service range has a half-hip to the N. Carved grotesque figures below both
jetties at the SW corner; moulded fascias to all jetties. Cement-rendered
plinth approximately one metre high. Shaped sprockets below eaves. Jowled
posts. Curved tension braces trenched inside heavy studding, nailed at the
crossings. In both ranges, chamfered binding and bridging beams with lamb's
tongue stops, joists plastered to the soffits, original related floorboards.
Some posts in both ranges have ovolo-moulded jowls or ledges. One transverse
beam in the service range is re-used from a jettied building. The main range
has a clasped purlin roof with arched wind-bracing. Blocked original windows
with unrefined ovolo-moulded jambs and mullions on the second floor; others in
the attic complete with diamond saddle bars. Face-halved and bladed scarfs in
the wallplates of both ranges. The W ground-floor room of the main range has a
wide wood-burning hearth with ovolo-moulded jambs and depressed arch, stripped
of plaster. The E ground-floor room is fully lined with original or early C17
oak panelling; C20 grate. Early C19 quarter-turn stair with pine handrail and
stick balusters. The frame is illustrated and described in C.A. Hewett, The
Development of Carpentry, 1200-1700, an Essex study, 1969, 144, 154, 200, 202-3,
207, 210. RCHM (Feering) 2.
Listing NGR: TL8708423548
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings