This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.9486 / 51°56'54"N
Longitude: 0.622 / 0°37'19"E
OS Eastings: 580294
OS Northings: 231032
OS Grid: TL802310
Mapcode National: GBR QJC.VF0
Mapcode Global: VHJJ5.Q9P2
Entry Name: Sloe House
Listing Date: 6 February 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1123213
English Heritage Legacy ID: 115994
Location: Greenstead Green and Halstead Rural, Braintree, Essex, CO9
Civil Parish: Greenstead Green and Halstead Rural
Built-Up Area: Halstead
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex
Church of England Parish: Halstead St Andrew with Holy Trinity
Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford
TL 83 SW GREENSTEAD GREEN AND SLOE HILL
HALSTEAD RURAL (east side)
2/156 Sloe House
House. Circa 1820 and late C19. Stuccoed brickwork, roofed with slate.
Approximately square plan with entrance elevation to W, main garden elevation to
E, and service wing to N. 2 storeys. E elevation, ground floor, 2 original
sashes of 12 lights with semi-circular heads and cathedral glass. First floor,
2 original sashes of 3 + 6 lights and 2 of 2 + 4 lights. Late C19/early C20
glazed door with sidelights and fanlight in full-width segmental arch, centrally
placed on main house. Late C19 cast iron verandah with gabled entrance opening
and pierced geometrical stanchions and brackets, roofed with slate and glass,
which continues round half of the S elevation. Late C19 heavy moulded plaster
cornice. Low-pitched hipped roof with long overhang. The garden front has a
large 2-storey bow with on the ground floor 3 sashes of 6 + 9 lights with
semi-circular heads, and on the first floor 3 sashes of 12 lights to floor level
with small plain cast iron balconies, all curved on plan, and flat roof. To
left of it is a late C19 splayed bay of 2:4:2 lights, with a late C19 sash of 4
lights above. To right of it are 2 original sashes of 12 lights with
semi-circular heads, smaller than those elsewhere, between them a half-glazed
door with fanlight and radial tracery, and on the first floor one large sash of
12 lights. The S elevation has on the ground floor a late C19 splayed bay with
French windows and large 2-light sashes, and 2 similar but smaller sashes to
left of it; and on the first floor 3 original sashes of 12 lights. Much crown
glass in the original windows. Much obscured by creeper at time of survey,
October 1985. The interior is virtually complete,all of c.1820, with typical
simple doors and architraves and reeded cornices. All the windows have their
original folding shutters, and there are 2 Adam-style wooden fire surrounds,
stripped of paint, and 4 Regency cast iron grates of various designs. The
entrance lobby has a stone-flagged floor and shallow vault of Soane-like design.
The main staircase is of wooden cantilevered type, segmental on plan, leading to
a cantilevered landing. This has a centrepiece of fretwork lattice pattern.
Over it is an oval skylight with wooden external dome. The adjoining vestibule
has a similar but circular dome light. Within the roof space are the remains of
earlier, probably C18 roofs.
Listing NGR: TL8029431032
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings