This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.8059 / 51°48'21"N
Longitude: 0.5577 / 0°33'27"E
OS Eastings: 576431
OS Northings: 215010
OS Grid: TL764150
Mapcode National: GBR PJP.PT0
Mapcode Global: VHJJQ.MV5Z
Entry Name: The Windmill
Listing Date: 13 March 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1123419
English Heritage Legacy ID: 115482
Location: Terling, Braintree, Essex, CM3
Civil Parish: Terling
Built-Up Area: Gamble's Green
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex
Church of England Parish: Terling All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 25/07/2012
TL 7614 and TL 7615
8/134 and 10/134
Smock mill, now a dwelling, and attached house. Early C19, altered in C20.
Mill, timber framed, plastered and weatherboarded, with fabric-covered cap.
House, timber framed, weatherboarded, roofed with slate. Mill octagonal, with
house extending to NW, and C20 wing to NE, forming an L-plan. Mill of 5 storeys
and cap, house of 2 storeys. The ground floor of the mill is plastered, with
one C20 casement on each of 6 sides and a C20 door to the SE. The remainder is
weatherboarded, with 4 C20 casements on each floor, and 2 loading doors on the
first floor. Stocks, sails and fantail gear. Ball finial on cap. SW elevation
of house, 3-window range of C20 casements. C20 door. Low-pitched roof. The
mill is reported to have been built in Cressing c.1770, and removed to Terling
c.1825 (A. Hills, Four Essex Windmills, Essex Review, XXXIX, 1930, 89) but no
confirmation of this has been traced. Internally, there are structural
indications of various alterations, and dismantling and re-erection is a
possibility. The mill was present in Terling in c.1818, initially designed for
grinding bark, and altered to corn milling soon afterwards. It worked until
1960, and was the last working windmill in Essex. The machinery has been
removed, but was fully recorded. (K. Farries, Essex Windmills, Millers and
Millwrights, I, 1981, 62, 69-70, II, 1982, 65-8, and V forthcoming).
Listing NGR: TL7643115010
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings