History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Cross Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Great Bardfield, Essex

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.9472 / 51°56'50"N

Longitude: 0.4646 / 0°27'52"E

OS Eastings: 569480

OS Northings: 230506

OS Grid: TL694305

Mapcode National: GBR PGT.XZ8

Mapcode Global: VHJJ3.0BF3

Entry Name: Cross Farmhouse

Listing Date: 21 December 1967

Last Amended: 17 May 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1123446

English Heritage Legacy ID: 115348

Location: Great Bardfield, Braintree, Essex, CM7

County: Essex

District: Braintree

Civil Parish: Great Bardfield

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: Finchingfield St John Baptist

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in
Finchingfield

Listing Text

TL 6730 GREAT BARDFIELD WALTHAM'S CROSS

3/209 Cross Farmhouse(formerly
21.12.67 listed in the parish of
Finchingfield under
OUTLYING ITEMS)
GV II

House. Circa 1600, extended in C20. Timber framed, plastered, roofed with
handmade red clay tiles. 2 bays of main range, originally longer, facing SE,
with axial stack in left bay, forming a lobby-entrance. 2-bay crosswing to
left. Single-storey lean-to extension to rear of main range. Large C20
extension to left of crosswing. 2 storeys and attic. 3-window range of mid-C19
sashes with marginal lights. In attic gable, one C18 3-light window with
wrought iron casement and rectangular leaded panes. C20 door, with early C19
simple hood on scrolled brackets. Old chevron pattern pargetting in panels.
Left return wall of crosswing has exposed framing, with an original window of 4
lights with ovolo mullions at ground floor, and a similar blocked window above.
A C17 3-light window with wrought iron casement has been re-sited in the rear
lean-to. Some imitation framing exposed at rear. The interior has jowled
posts, clasped purlin roof, and a large wood-burning hearth facing main range,
with initials M.B. and A.L. inscribed on mantel beam. There are some introduced
features, c.1950, including re-sited wall framing and beams and a C17 stair with
turned balusters, reportedly from Hempstead.


Listing NGR: TL6948030506

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.