This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.9482 / 51°56'53"N
Longitude: 0.4383 / 0°26'18"E
OS Eastings: 567675
OS Northings: 230554
OS Grid: TL676305
Mapcode National: GBR NFG.X7Z
Mapcode Global: VHJJ2.K92B
Entry Name: 6, 7 and 8, Brook Street
Listing Date: 21 December 1967
Last Amended: 17 May 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1123467
English Heritage Legacy ID: 115292
Location: Great Bardfield, Braintree, Essex, CM7
Civil Parish: Great Bardfield
Built-Up Area: Great Bardfield
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex
Church of England Parish: Great Bardfield St Mary the Virgin
Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford
TL 6730 GREAT BARDFIELD BROOK STREET
8/153 Nos. 6, 7 and 8,
21 .12.67 (formerly listed as nos.
6, 7, and 8 St. John's
House, now divided into 3 houses. C15, altered in C16 and C19. Timber framed,
plastered with imitation framing exposed, roofed with handmade red clay tiles.
Comprises 2-bay hall facing S with axial stack in right bay, original 2-bay
parlour/solar crosswing to left, with C19 central stack, and 2-bay crosswing to
right, c.1570, replacing original service bay. Single-storey extensions to
rear. Crosswings of 2 storeys, hall of one storey with attics. 4-window range
of C19 Gothic Revival cast iron casements, the middle 2 upper windows in
gabled dormers with C19 pierced bargeboards. 3 plain boarded doors. C19 pierced
bargeboards with fleur-de-lys pendants on both gables. Grouped diagonal shafts
on main stack, diagonal shaft on left stack. The floor of the hall and
crosswing has risen approx. 0.8 metre in relation to the original structure,
probably due to deposition of silt at the foot of the hill. It retains a
blocked rear doorway with 4-centred head, and the lower half of a rear unglazed
window, with transom and 5 moulded mullions. The central tiebeam is moulded to
a bowtell-in-great-casement profile, and severed for an inserted doorway, the
missing part re-used to frame the same doorway. Crownpost roof, smoke-
blackened, central crownpost and braces missing. Late C16 inserted floor with
chamfered axial beam with lamb's tongue stops. The left crosswing (no. 6) has
an underbuilt jetty, a hollow-moulded (but mutilated) girt on the right side,
facing the hall (i.e. the dais beam), a rebate for the hall/parlour door,
exposed close studding, and crownpost roof with plain post and axial braces.
The original floor has been raised approx. 0.5 metre. The right crosswing (no.
8) has a chamfered binding beam with lamb's tongue stops, exposed plain joists
of horizontal section, an underbuilt jetty, diamond mortices for an unglazed
window at the side, and a crownpost roof with plain post and thin axial braces.
The combination of lamb's tongue stops with a crownpost roof is of special
historical interest, and makes this crosswing finely datable to c.1570. RCHM
Listing NGR: TL6767530554
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings