This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.8903 / 51°53'24"N
Longitude: 0.9157 / 0°54'56"E
OS Eastings: 600738
OS Northings: 225318
OS Grid: TM007253
Mapcode National: GBR SN5.JB7
Mapcode Global: VHKFZ.TRH9
Plus Code: 9F32VWR8+47
Entry Name: The Siege House
Listing Date: 19 February 1959
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1123627
English Heritage Legacy ID: 116957
Location: Colchester, Essex, CO1
Electoral Ward/Division: Castle
Built-Up Area: Colchester
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex
Church of England Parish: Colchester St James and St Paul
Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford
1. EAST STREET
995 (North Side)
Nos 73 to 75 (consec)
(The Siege House)
TM 0025 SE 7/69 19.2.59.
Good house of early C16 timber construction some of the timber work
outstanding. Extensively restored in 1905 after it had been acquired
(1902) by E Marriage & Son Ltd, owners of the adjoining mill property.
They had all the external plaster stripped and this revealed many bullet
holes in the timbers of the west side and south front, dating from
the time of the Siege of Colchester in 1648. The house is of
L-shaped plan and the upper storey projects on the west side and south
front with a heavy diagonal carved corner post. The East part of
the moulded bressumer is original and the upper storey of this part of
the building has an original window with diamond shaped mullions.
On the west side is an original shaft with moulded capital supporting
a curved bracket.
The interior has a number of original features - moulded ceiling beams,
panelling and remains of original roof construction.
Nos 70 to 75 (consec) form a group with East Mills and the Mill House
Listing NGR: TM0073825318
Other nearby listed buildings