This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.8322 / 51°49'55"N
Longitude: 0.6978 / 0°41'51"E
OS Eastings: 585980
OS Northings: 218286
OS Grid: TL859182
Mapcode National: GBR QL0.372
Mapcode Global: VHKG8.16RR
Entry Name: County Library and Local History Museum
Listing Date: 25 June 1974
Last Amended: 29 July 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1123804
English Heritage Legacy ID: 116550
Location: Kelvedon, Braintree, Essex, CO5
Civil Parish: Kelvedon
Built-Up Area: Kelvedon
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex
Church of England Parish: Kelvedon St Mary the Virgin
Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford
KELVEDON MALDON ROAD
TL 8418-8518 (west side)
9/253 County Library and
25.6.74 Local History Museum
(formerly listed as the
School, now library and museum. C18, altered and extended in c19. Red brick in
English bond, extended in Flemish bond, roofed with handmade red plain tiles.
Rectangular plan facing SE with axial stack at right end. Late C19 extension to
right. C20 single-storey extensions at both ends; those at the left end are
weatherboarded and roofed with red clay pantiles. Late C19 gabled porch in
Gothic Revival style to front. One storey. 2 late C19 windows in Gothic
Revival style, each of 4 lights with 4-centred heads in a segmental arch, and 3
casements in right extension. C19 Gothic Revival door. The original build has
a double-chamfered plinth. In left end, blocked high window, killers, and vent
in gable. Butt-purlin roof in 4 bays, ceiled in 4 cants, the principals
ovolo-moulded with lamb's tongue stops, 2 chamfered tiebeams with lamb's tongue
stops, plain purlins. In the middle of the rear wall the date 1743 in a
cartouche in high relief. The porch is shown in the First Edition 25" O.S. map
of 1875; the right extension is not shown until the Second Edition of 1895.
(B.L. Kentish, Kelvedon and its Antiquities, 1974, 65-6). RCHM 11.
Listing NGR: TL8598018286
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings