This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.8395 / 51°50'22"N
Longitude: 0.7038 / 0°42'13"E
OS Eastings: 586368
OS Northings: 219115
OS Grid: TL863191
Mapcode National: GBR QKT.QR9
Mapcode Global: VHKG8.41Y4
Plus Code: 9F32RPQ3+RG
Entry Name: Heigaines
Listing Date: 29 July 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1123826
English Heritage Legacy ID: 116503
Location: Kelvedon, Braintree, Essex, CO5
Civil Parish: Kelvedon
Built-Up Area: Kelvedon
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex
Church of England Parish: Kelvedon St Mary the Virgin
Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford
No. 195 (Heigaines)
TL 86368 19115
House. C16 or earlier, extended in C19, much altered in C20. Timber framed,
plastered, roofed with handmade red plain tiles. Main range facing SE, with C19
axial stack near left end. 2 adjacent C19 wings to rear, with truncated C19
external stack to left, and C20 external stack at end of right wing. One storey
with attics. 2 C20 casements, and 3 more in gabled dormers. C20 door with
side-lights. Half-hipped gambrel roof on main range, gablet hip on left rear
wing, full hip on right rear wing. All rear windows are C20 casements.
Chamfered axial beam supported in internal stack at left end, with lamb's tongue
stops and introduced post at right end. Joists of horizontal section with step
stops jointed to beam with soffit tenons with diminished haunches. As the wall
framing is concealed by plaster it is not clear whether this is an inserted
floor of c.1570 in an earlier building, or part of the original construction.
The axial stack originally had coal-burning hearths to left and right; right
hearth now blocked, converted to a recess facing to left. Plain joists of
vertical section in left bay. Roof rebuilt as a gambrel in C18/19. The rear
wings have thin studding and primary straight bracing. Plain joists of vertical
section in left rear wing, much disturbed by C20 alterations. Documentary
evidence from 1581 (B.L. Kentish, Kelvedon and its Antiquities, 1974, 72, A.A.
Dibben, Title Deeds, 1971, 26).
Listing NGR: TL8636819115
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings