History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Fullerthorne and Railings and Gate to Front

A Grade II Listed Building in Kelvedon, Essex

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 51.8345 / 51°50'4"N

Longitude: 0.6945 / 0°41'40"E

OS Eastings: 585748

OS Northings: 218529

OS Grid: TL857185

Mapcode National: GBR QKT.VTG

Mapcode Global: VHKG8.0510

Plus Code: 9F32RMMV+QR

Entry Name: Fullerthorne and Railings and Gate to Front

Listing Date: 25 June 1974

Last Amended: 29 July 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1123847

English Heritage Legacy ID: 116453

Location: Kelvedon, Braintree, Essex, CO5

County: Essex

Civil Parish: Kelvedon

Built-Up Area: Kelvedon

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: Kelvedon St Mary the Virgin

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in


TL 8418-8518 (north-east side)

9/140 Fullerthorne and
25.6.74 railings and gate to
front (formerly listed
as Fullerthorne)


House. Late medieval, altered in C18, extended in C20. Timber framed,
plastered with some red brick, roofed with handmade red plain tiles. The main
range facing SW comprises (1) 1½ bays of the original hall, with a late C16
inserted stack in the right bay (formerly the 'low end'), truncated to include
the stack but the remainder of this bay and the service bay demolished, (2)
parlour bay to left, with C18 stack at end, (3) C18 one-bay extension to left,
(4) one-bay extension to left, c.1960, comprising garage and extension to
bedroom over. Extension to rear of right end, c.1960, incorporating an C18/19
boundary wall of red brick. 2 storeys. Ground floor, 3 C20 replicas of early
C19 sashes of 12 lights with moulded surrounds. First floor, 3 C20 replicas of
C19 casements with moulded surrounds. Off-centre half-glazed 4-panel door in
eared doorcase with pediment. Garage door at left end. Plain parapet. Gambrel
roof. One C20 skylight near left end. Left return of painted brick. Right
return, lower half of red brick, upper half plastered. The rear elevation has
some early C19 patterned plaster, repaired. Simple wrought iron spearhead
railings and gate along street boundary, except in front of garage. Part of one
chamfered arched brace to the middle tiebeam of the hall is exposed below
ceiling level, the remainder visible from the loft. Cambered central tiebeam,
severed for stair at rear end, rear brace missing. Edge-halved and bridled
scarf in rear wallplate. Large wood-burning hearth with moulded mantel beam,
defaced; jambs plastered. Inserted floor in hall, c.1600, with chamfered axial
beam (C20 scarf at left end), plain joists of square section, rebated hardwood
boards. In the parlour bay 4 posts are exposed in the left wall; butt-edged
hardwood floorboards on first floor, arranged transversely, indicating that the
concealed joists are arranged longitudingally. In the C18 extension, recess at
rear with semi-elliptical arch, and in the upper storey, pine floorboards and 2
C18 plain battened doors, one with a blocked opening. Frame mainly plastered in
the upper storey, exposing parts of the wallplates. Some smoke-blackened
medieval timber re-used in the C18 roof structure. The surviving features of
the medieval house do not permit firm dating, except within the period
c.1380-1500. The architect of the alterations of c.1960, including all
replacement windows, was Peter Barefoot.

Listing NGR: TL8574818529

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.