This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.8596 / 51°51'34"N
Longitude: 0.5845 / 0°35'4"E
OS Eastings: 578071
OS Northings: 221044
OS Grid: TL780210
Mapcode National: GBR PJ4.BLK
Mapcode Global: VHJJK.2JW9
Entry Name: Cressing Park
Listing Date: 29 May 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1123856
English Heritage Legacy ID: 116368
Location: Cressing, Braintree, Essex, CM77
Civil Parish: Cressing
Built-Up Area: Tye Green (Braintree)
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex
CRESSING BRAINTREE ROAD
TL 72 SE (east side)
1/43 Cressing Park
Wrongly shown on OS map as Wright's Farm. House. Early C16, altered late C16,
C17, C18 and C20. Timber framed, plastered and weatherboarded, roofed with
handmade red plain tiles. 2-bayhall facing SW, with late C16 axial stack at
left end, and originally storeyed parlour/solar bay at right end. 2-bay
crosswing of c.1600 at left end, with C19 external stack to left (disused), and
C18 one-bay extension to rear. C19 single-storey extension of painted brick
with roof of red clay pantiles to rear of crosswing, with internal end stack.
C19/20 lean-to extension, weatherboarded with slate roof, in rear right angle.
Crosswing of 2 storeys, hall range of one storey with attics. Ground floor, 2
C20 casements. First floor, one C20 casement, and 2 more in gabled dormers. C20
door in C20 hipped porch. Front elevation plastered, both returns
weatherboarded, rear elevation plastered above weatherboarded dado. The right
bay of the main range has a chamfered axial beam with plain joists of horizontal
section, jointed to it with soffit tenons with diminished haunches. The
original ground-floor partition between this bay and the hall has been removed,
and a later partition has been built approx. 0.5 metre to the right, of large
studs and primary braces, nailed together and now exposed as an open frame. In
the left bay of the hall is a wide wood-burning hearth with original seat
recesses on both sides, and 2 original salt recesses with convex V-heads of
moulded bricks at the back; original chamfered mantel beam; 0.33 metre jambs.
In the hall is an inserted floor of c.1600 comprising a chamfered axial beam
with plain joists of vertical section, supported on nailed softwood clamps. The
roof of the hall range has been rebuilt in the C17 in clasped purlin form with
some re-used smoke-blackened rafters. Back to back with this stack is a smaller
C17 hearth with rounded internal splays, replaced mantel beam and some modern
brickwork at the front; 0.23 metre jambs. The crosswing has a chamfered binding
beam with lamb's tongue stops, joists plastered to the soffits, jowled posts,
and the original butt-purlin roof with no central tiebeam, the principal rafters
dovetailed directly to the wallplates. The C18 rear bay has unjowled posts. The
interior of this house has been much altered and renovated; the best feature
remaining is the late C16 right hearth, which is a good example of its kind.
The retention of the external weatherboarding has
maintained the traditional character
Known as Wright's Farm until September 1986; the name Cressing Park has
no historical basis.
Listing NGR: TL7807121044
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings