This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.7863 / 51°47'10"N
Longitude: 0.2249 / 0°13'29"E
OS Eastings: 553556
OS Northings: 212084
OS Grid: TL535120
Mapcode National: GBR MFS.X8S
Mapcode Global: VHHM8.VC7F
Entry Name: Kingstons Farmhouse
Listing Date: 22 February 1952
Last Amended: 26 April 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1123907
English Heritage Legacy ID: 118130
Location: Matching, Epping Forest, Essex, CM17
District: Epping Forest
Civil Parish: Matching
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex
Church of England Parish: Matching
Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford
TL 536 121 MATCHING
3/36 (formerly listed as Kingstons)
Manor house, c.1580, altered in C17, C18 and C20. Timber framed, encased in
red brickwork with some blue headers, Flemish bone, roofed with handmade red
clay tiles. Hall block aligned approx. NE-SW with 2 crosswings of 3 bays.
Original axial chimney stack at SW end of hall block forming a service end
lobby-entrance. External chimney stack at NE. Stair tower to SE of axial
chimney stack. One-bay extension to SW, C18. Single storey bakehouse to SW,
C18, originally free-standing, connected to house in C20. Extension to Se
between stair tower and NE crosswing, C20, framed of re-used timber and jettied.
2 storeys. NW elevation, panelled flush door, 2 C20 casement windows, one
bay with sliding glazed doors, C20. First floor, 3 C20 casement windows. 2
hipped dormers with C19/20 casements. Roof altered to a continuous NE-SW range
over both crosswings, hipped at the SR only, with gables at the SE ends of the
crosswings. Frame partly exposed internally. Jowled posts, curved tension
bracing trenched inside studs. Mortices for diamond mullions in S wall,
evidence of early type of glazed frieze window in NW wall of NE crosswing.
N ground floor room, the original parlour, lined with original oak panelling,
late C16. Hearth of room above this has brick depressed arch, jambs cut to
double agee profile, originally plastered, now stripped. In the attic and roof-
space. 2 collars made from original barge-boards, carved with serpentine cable
design and lunettes. This is an unusually datable house, evidently built in
the late 1570's or 1580's, when glazed windows were coming into use in the more
prominent positions, accompanied by unglazed windows in the less prominent
positions. The panelling and the carved design of the re-used bargeboards are
consistent with this dating. The formation of a lobby-entrance between the
'hall' and the service end was archaic, shortly to be superseded in fashionable
usage by the lobby-entrance giving direct access to the parlour. In the C17
the roof was rebuilt on a continuous alignment, with clasped purlin
construction, allowing it to be used as attics. In the C18 a short extension
with hipped roof was added at the SW end, the whole house was clad with
brickwork, and the SE elevation became the fashionable entrance. Moated site.
Listing NGR: TL5355612084
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings