This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.7742 / 51°46'26"N
Longitude: 0.2206 / 0°13'14"E
OS Eastings: 553306
OS Northings: 210720
OS Grid: TL533107
Mapcode National: GBR MFZ.NMG
Mapcode Global: VHHM8.SN0S
Plus Code: 9F32Q6FC+M7
Entry Name: Elm Cottage
Listing Date: 26 April 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1123930
English Heritage Legacy ID: 118080
Location: Matching, Epping Forest, Essex, CM17
Civil Parish: Matching
Built-Up Area: Matching Green
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex
Church of England Parish: Matching
Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford
TL 5331 1072 HIGH LAVER Elm Cottage
House, late C16, extended in C19 and C20. Timber framed, partly infilled with
brick, partly plastered, roof thatched. 4 bays aligned approx. N-S, aspect
E, with chimney stack in second bay from N, facing S against E wall. Brick
extension to S, with chimney stack in NE corner, C19. Extension to W from N
end, C20, forming an L-plan. Small extension to N and covered way along rest
of N elevation, C20. Conservatory in SW angle, C20. Single storey with attics.
E elevation, painted brickwork at each end, exposed timber framing with brick
infill between. 2 casement windows, 3 double-hung sash windows, all C20. 3
eyebrow dormers with horizontally sliding sash windows of 8 lights, late C19.
Roof hipped at both ends. Some framing exposed internally. Arched braces
rising from corner posts to tiebeams and wallplates, trenched inside studs.
Framing of upper part of original S end, weathered, exposed inside C19
extension, with mortices for 4 diamond mullions between tiebeams and collar,
off centre. Similar mortices for equivalent unglazed window at N end, also
off centre. Lodged longitudinal joists unchamfered, in S bay. Transverse beam
immediately S of main chimney stack, and joists of vertical section, both plain
chamfered with lamb's tongue stops. In hearth blocked aperture for bread oven
outside E wall, demolished. Straight joint through building immediately N of
chimney stack, indicating a phased building programme, both parts late C16.
Roof of clasped purlin construction with curved wind-bracing, not smoke-
blackened. This house was built in the late C16, much on the medieval pattern
but with an original chimney stack. The 'hall' may have been open originally,
for the floor in this section seems slightly later in date than the remainder;
if inserted, it would have been within a decade or two of 1600. The ends were
storeyed from the outset. In the early C19 this house was divided into 2
tenements at the hall/parlour partition, and extended to the S with an extra
chimney stack. There is a C19 cast iron grate at the upper level. In the early
C20 the lower part of the original S end was removed, the remainder supported
by an RSJ, to convert 2 small rooms into one large one.
Listing NGR: TL5330610720
Other nearby listed buildings