This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.7053 / 51°42'19"N
Longitude: 0.2453 / 0°14'43"E
OS Eastings: 555241
OS Northings: 203115
OS Grid: TL552031
Mapcode National: GBR MGZ.2TF
Mapcode Global: VHHMP.6DJK
Entry Name: Budworth Hall
Listing Date: 11 April 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1124075
English Heritage Legacy ID: 117822
Location: Ongar, Epping Forest, Essex, CM5
District: Epping Forest
Civil Parish: Ongar
Built-Up Area: Chipping Ongar
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex
Church of England Parish: Chipping Ongar with Shelley
Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford
TL 5503 ONGAR HIGH STREET (W side)
8/107 Budworth Hall
Public Hall. c.1886. Built by Fothergill Watson of Nottingham with tower added
c.1887 to commemorate Queen Victoria's Jubilee. Given to the Town by the
Budworth family of Greensted Hall. Red brick built, with plain red tiled roof.
Of complex plan, the rear of 3 storeys with ½ hipped roofs acroterian to ridge
and projecting eaves. 2 storey forward crosswing to left with ½ hipped roof
and matching details to rear roof. This range with a 4 light oriel supported
by timber brackets to first floor and matching bay window to ground floor.
There is a ½ glazed door under a red tiled porch supported by brackets, and
a rear extension porch. Plaque - "Erected 1886" over bay window. Batten design
to first floor and various decorative bands, which continue throughout the
building. The Tower to the right of two stages, with hipped, red tile roof,
decorative cast iron ridge and weathervane. Clock face to each face below the
projecting eaves. 3 light window below clock to Bansons Lane face and two
lights to High Street; with segmental arches and heads. Hipped red tiled porch,
supported by 4 curved brackets. Double boarded doors with segmental heads and
decorative iron hinges. The clock faces set in square recesses with moulded
brick infill. Various moulded bands. Stone name plaque to centre front with
commemorative plaque below. There is an outshot red tiled roof between
crosswing and tower. To the right of the tower, and set back is a small turret,
with octangonal spire and finial, moulded brick "Tudor" windows to first floor
and two small lights to ground floor. 4 red brick chimney stacks with pilaster
strips, moulded caps and bases.
Listing NGR: TL5524103115
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings