This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.728 / 51°43'40"N
Longitude: 0.2199 / 0°13'11"E
OS Eastings: 553408
OS Northings: 205581
OS Grid: TL534055
Mapcode National: GBR MGK.ND8
Mapcode Global: VHHMG.RTLQ
Entry Name: Church of St Germain
Listing Date: 20 February 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1124089
English Heritage Legacy ID: 117748
Location: Bobbingworth, Epping Forest, Essex, CM5
District: Epping Forest
Civil Parish: Bobbingworth
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex
Church of England Parish: Bobbingworth St Germain
Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford
TL 51 NW BOBBINGWORTH STONY LANE
1/24 Church of St. Germain
Church, probably a C13 core to the nave with late C18 red brick cladding. The
gault brick chancel and NW tower with belfry were added C19. Plain red tiled
roofs. The crenellated tower is of two orders with angled buttresses and has
at ground level 2 stone dressed rectangular windows above which are circular
lights in square stone surrounds. To the north face is a clock. The belfry
has elongated, 2 light openings with two centre heads under moulded two centre
labels with stops, to each face. Chamfered and moulded 2 centred porch opening.
The nave has 3 matching windows to N and S walls of 2 lights with cusped
trefoils and tracery above and moulded and stopped labels. The chancel has 2
matching windows of 2 lights with cusped trefoils and tracery above and foliate
stops to moulded labels. The east window of 3 lights, cusped and with tracery
above, foliate stops to moulded labels. There are 2, two step buttresses to
the east gabled wall and a parapet verge with brick band and cornice, surmounted
by an ornate cross. The vestry is to the SW and of late C19, early C20 red
brick with a red tiled roof, with leaded 2 light windows in timber frames. The
C19 door with two centred head is of nailed plank and muntin in a plain two
order stone surround. Internally the nave roof is of 7 cant construction, of
ancient timbers, plain, but without any datable feature (C. A. Hewett, Church
Carpentry 1974). Moulded wall plates and two moulded, stop chamfered tie beams.
The two bay, C19 chancel roof, with moulded quatrefoiled, raised, wallplates is
of canted, braced collar construction with quatrefoils to bracing and tiny arch
braced King posts. Foliate stone corbels to wall brackets. The C19 panelled
high box pews are complete, with all doors intact and C17 panelling to N and S
walls, with face to face Sunday School seating area at the rear of the nave.
The font is octagonal and lead lined, possibly C15, resting on a later moulded
octagonal base. The Pulpit and attached Reader's Desk, are made up of C17
panelling and decorated with arabesque and jewel patterning. On each side of
the east window are carved the Ten Commandments on stone plaques. C19 wrought
iron altar rails. C19 stained glass to chancel windows. Several brasses on
chancel wall, to W. Bourne 1581 and R. Bourne 1639 and to Weldon and Olivers
during C19. 6 funerary hatchments on nave roof in good condition. By the door
is a Wall Monument to Major G. Capel-Cure and his wife, Ione, made up in 1963 it
includes a C16 Madonna and Child, probably by Pietro Lombardo and was acquired
by the Capel-Cure family from a palace in Mantua, more than a century ago.
Wooden plaque recording R. Bournes Charity. Piscina, C13 in S wall of nave
with moulded 2 centre arch, jambs with attached shafts with moulded bases and
capitals carried along as imposts. RCHM 1.
Listing NGR: TL5340805581
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings