This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.6876 / 51°41'15"N
Longitude: -0.0034 / 0°0'12"W
OS Eastings: 538112
OS Northings: 200646
OS Grid: TL381006
Mapcode National: GBR KM.9SN
Mapcode Global: VHGQ2.WVK5
Entry Name: Church of the Holy Cross and St Lawrence Ruins to East of Church of Holy Cross and St Lawrence
Listing Date: 26 January 1956
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1124155
English Heritage Legacy ID: 117608
Location: Waltham Abbey, Epping Forest, Essex, EN9
District: Epping Forest
Civil Parish: Waltham Abbey
Built-Up Area: Waltham Abbey
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex
Church of England Parish: Waltham Abbey
Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford
TL 3800 NW WALTHAM ABBEY Ruins to east of Church of
Holy Cross and St Lawrence
830/1/1 Including Church of the Holy
Cross and St Lawrence
Mediaeval church much reduced in size with later additions and alterations.
Naves and aisles circa 1100-1151. 2 west bays of nave and west front circa
1300. Lady Chapel and undercroft lst quarter of C14. West tower 1556-62.
Main body of church restored 1859-60 by William Burges with new nave roof,
reredos, east window with glass by Edward Burne-Jones. Lady Chapel restored
1876 by Burges and J A Reeve; screen 1886.
Last Judgement wall painting. C14, in Lady Chapel. Brasses of 1559 and 1591.
Carved table tomb 1697; monument with effigies 1599; carved marble wall monument
with effigies and reliefs 176l; carved wall monument by J Kendrick 1805; wall
monument with bas relief 1824.
Bases of 2 columns and of a curved wall beyond the present east end survive
from the Normal choir, first half of C12.
Church of the Holy Cross and St Lawerence, Abbey Gateway, Midnight Chapel and
Harolds Bridge, Walls of Abbey and Chapter House, Garden Wall and the Vicarage
form a group.
Listing NGR: TL3811200646
Other nearby listed buildings