This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.8495 / 51°50'58"N
Longitude: -1.0434 / 1°2'36"W
OS Eastings: 465989
OS Northings: 217204
OS Grid: SP659172
Mapcode National: GBR 9ZD.T7Q
Mapcode Global: VHCXC.VSR0
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 21 December 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1124276
English Heritage Legacy ID: 42482
Location: Ludgershall, Aylesbury Vale, Buckinghamshire, HP18
District: Aylesbury Vale
Civil Parish: Ludgershall
Built-Up Area: Ludgershall
Traditional County: Buckinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Buckinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Ludgershall
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
SP 61 NE LUDGERSHALL CHURCH LANE
3/101 Church of St. Mary
Parish church. Chancel rebuilt early C14, nave altered and aisles added
mid C14, early C15 W. tower, late C15-C16 S. porch, C19 restorations and
organ chamber. Limestone rubble, tiled chancel, lead roofs to remainder.
Tower of 2 stages, set into W. bay of nave, has restored battlemented
parapet, angle buttresses, 2-light traceried openings to bell-chamber
and 3-light W. window with reticulated tracery. C15 sanctus bellcote with
carved finials at E. end of nave. Aisles have moulded parapets and early
C16 windows with 4-centred lights in square headed openings. N. aisle also
has restored C14 E. window of 3 traceried lights. Blocked N. doorway
with 2-centred chamfered arch. Moulded S doorway. 2 storey S. porch
has parapet, 2-centred double-chamfered arch with inner order on semi-octagonal
piers, and single 4-centred light above. Floor inside has been removed.
Chancel has 2 bays of restored Perpendicular traceried windows with
4-centred heads, 2-light to N. flanking C19 lean-to organ chamber,
and 3-light to S. flanking small moulded doorway. C19 3-light traceried
E. window. Interior: tower has triple-chamfered arches to nave and
aisles, the 2 inner orders on semi-octagonal piers with moulded caps.
Traces of former arches of nave arcade remain above. Nave now of 3
bays with arcades of double-chamfered arches on octagonal piers.
Ornamental capitals: N.W. pier with dogtooth ornament; S.W. pier with
carved heads; second pier in each arcade with carved half-figures inter-
linking arms, all restored. Other capitals moulded. Late C15-C16 nave
roof with moulded purlins, ridge and tie beams, the tie beams on curved
braces with carved spandrels and carved wooden angel corbels. Aisles
have squints to chancel, that to S. with cusped opening. S. aisle also
has rectangular piscina and stairs to upper chamber of porch. Double-
chamfered chancel arch, the inner order on attached shafts with moulded
caps. Chancel has rectangular piscina with carved fleurons, and hammer-
beam roof, probably C17, now partly concealed. Fittings: fine C12
tub font, the lower edge with enriched fluting; early C17 altar table with
turned balusters and carved frieze; early C17 chair; old chest.
Monuments: brasses to Anne Englishe 1565, her daughter and grand-daughter, all
set into top of altar tomb in chancel; large early C19 tomb chest with
pyramidal roof, flaming urn, and eye-shaped panels commemorating members of
Spiers family 1817-46 at W. end of N. aisle. Wycliffe was non-resident
vicar here in C14.
(RCHM I p. 249 - 5O).
Listing NGR: SP6598917203
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings