This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.7039 / 51°42'14"N
Longitude: -0.6176 / 0°37'3"W
OS Eastings: 495624
OS Northings: 201478
OS Grid: SP956014
Mapcode National: GBR F5W.0PK
Mapcode Global: VHFS9.7FVM
Entry Name: The Bury
Listing Date: 10 November 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1124657
English Heritage Legacy ID: 43536
Location: Chesham, Chiltern, Buckinghamshire, HP5
Civil Parish: Chesham
Built-Up Area: Chesham
Traditional County: Buckinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Buckinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Great Chesham
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
SP 9501 SE 1/2 10.11.51.
Country house built for William Lowndes (1652-1724) Secretary to the Treasury
in the reign of Queen Anne. Date 1716 on rainwater heads. Original 5 bay front
extended in late C18 to 7 bays. Wing added 1853. Red brickwork with rusticated
quoins. 2 storeys, cornice, panelled parapet. Sash windows with glazing bars
under cambered cutter arches. 2 ground floor segmental bow windows, 1st floor
Venetian window either end. Entrance front Neo-Tudor wing over carriage arch.
Neo-Georgian north garden arcade connecting house with summer house.
Interior retains some original panelling.
The Bury, the Stables and the North and South Lodges form a group.
Listing NGR: SP9562401478
Other nearby listed buildings