This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.5579 / 50°33'28"N
Longitude: -4.7928 / 4°47'33"W
OS Eastings: 202282
OS Northings: 76855
OS Grid: SX022768
Mapcode National: GBR ZW.VY4R
Mapcode Global: FRA 07VL.GMS
Entry Name: Trescobel
Listing Date: 6 June 1969
Last Amended: 26 June 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1124723
English Heritage Legacy ID: 351558
Location: St. Kew, Cornwall, PL30
Civil Parish: St. Kew
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: St Kew
Church of England Diocese: Truro
SX 07 NW ST KEW ST KEW
5/221 Trescobel (previously listed as
Vicarage, now private house. Circa early C19, possibly built for John-Samuel Scobell
who was admitted in 1837 and died in 1849. Stone rubble, rendered probably
originally plastered with left-hand side wall slate-hung. Brick end chimney stacks
heating 2 front reception rooms, rear lateral brick stack heating original kitchen on
left and axial brick stack heating room on rear right. Later service wing of stone
rubble with slate roof with gable end and brick end stack.
Double depth plan with 2 reception rooms on front, stair to rear of central
hall/passage with original kitchen to left of stair and a third reception room to
right of stair. Extended with mid C19 service wing to rear right of 1-room plan.
2 storeys symmetrical 3-window front with incised end pilaster strips with key
motifs. Ground floor with central Doric porch with fluted columns and part-glazed
double doors, inner door and windows in flanking walls fenestrated with original
chinoiserie patterned glazing bars. Tall 12-pane hornless sashes on either side.
First floor with three 12-pane hornless sashes with eared architraves. Rear wing
with hornless sashes and crown glass.
Interior complete early C19 joinery. Central entrance hall with plastered groin-
vaulted ceiling of 3 bays. Front reception rooms of equal size with identical C19
marble chimney pieces with pilasters decorated with key motif identical to pilaster
strips on front elevation. C19 open-well stair with open-string and ramped rail.
House on site of earlier rectory marked on C18 map in Lanhydrock.
Particularly complete early C19 vicarage, both internally and externally.
Polsue, J Lake's Parochial History of the County of Cornwall Volume II, 1868 rp
Listing NGR: SX0228076850
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings