This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.5543 / 50°33'15"N
Longitude: -4.8164 / 4°48'58"W
OS Eastings: 200595
OS Northings: 76516
OS Grid: SX005765
Mapcode National: GBR ZV.K46D
Mapcode Global: FRA 07SL.RFP
Entry Name: Trewethern Farmhouse
Listing Date: 26 June 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1124731
English Heritage Legacy ID: 351574
Location: St. Kew, Cornwall, PL27
Civil Parish: St. Kew
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: St Kew
Church of England Diocese: Truro
SX 07 NW ST KEW TREWETHERN
5/233 Trewethern Farmhouse
Farmhouse. Circa 1500 or earlier, remodelled and extended in circa early C18. Stone
rubble, partly slate-hung above ground floor on left-hand side. Asbestos slate roof
with gable ends with projecting wing on front right with gabled end. Arrangement of
roof altered on right and to rear on right when the house was re-roofed in the late
C20. Projecting stone rubble stack with brick shaft on left-hand gable end, axial
brick stack to right of centre heating central room and brick stack on rear slope at
right-hand gable end.
Original plan uncertain. One cruck truss of circa 1500 survives in the earlier range
on the right, towards the gable end. The roof truss is competely clean and probably
spanned an open hall which had a fireplace or alternatively a first floor parlour or
solar. The house was probably remodelled and extended in the early C18; there is a
straight joint on the front and rear elevations to left of the axial stack and there
is evidence that the right-hand range was increased in depth, probably by about 1.5m.
The house in circa early C18 comprised a 3-room and cross passage plan with the stair
probably in a projection to the rear of the passage. The rooms were heated by gable
end stacks with a brick axial stack heating the central room. The earlier range on
the right thus became an inner room of considerable dimensions and by the mid C19 had
become a large kitchen with a dairy added in a projecting wing on the front with a
small service room in an outshut on the rear.
2 storeys regular 3-window front with fenestration disposed to left in later range
and projecting 2-storey wing on front right. Ground floor with two 16-pane horned
sashes flanking C19 entrance door and circa C19 porch with rendered piers and, flat
roof. Three 3/6 pane sashes above ground floor openings. To right of projecting
wing, second entrance with C19 6-panel door in lean-to stone rubble porch.
Interior C18 range with circa late C18/early C19 open-string stair with turned newels
and ramped rail. Left-hand room with segmental arched opening with fluted pilasters
and circa late C18 chimney-piece. Earlier range on right remodelled in C18. Roof
structure above right-hand range altered when re-roofed in late C20. Earlier roof of
5 bays remains below; 3 circa late C18 trusses with principals halved, lapped and
pegged; collars partly halved, lapped and pegged onto face of principals and trenched
purlins. Truss towards right-hand gable end circa 1500; cruck principals with
cranked collar and arch braces; the principals reduce above collar level to open
mortices intended to carry an upper tier of principals which appear to have slotted
onto the back. However, this upper tier is now missing and only part of an
apparently unusual joint survives; the principals have l-tier of holes for threaded
purlins well below the collars. There is no evidence as to whether the upper
principals supported any form of ridge. The foot of one of the principals has been
truncated, probably in the late C20 when the relieving roof structure above was
modified and the foot of the other has been boxed in.
Listing NGR: SX0059576516
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings