History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Linford Manor

A Grade II* Listed Building in Great Linford, Milton Keynes

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.0723 / 52°4'20"N

Longitude: -0.7578 / 0°45'27"W

OS Eastings: 485240

OS Northings: 242272

OS Grid: SP852422

Mapcode National: GBR CZX.17Y

Mapcode Global: VHDT0.T58Q

Entry Name: Linford Manor

Listing Date: 3 March 1952

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1125276

English Heritage Legacy ID: 45821

Location: Great Linford, Milton Keynes, MK14

County: Milton Keynes

Civil Parish: Great Linford

Built-Up Area: Milton Keynes

Traditional County: Buckinghamshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Buckinghamshire

Church of England Parish: Stantonbury and Willen

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Stoke Goldington

Listing Text

P 84 SW GREAT LINFORD HIGH STREET
north end

2/33 Linford Manor

3.3.52

GV II*

Country House now used as Arts Centre. c1720 remodelling of house of
c1680 with later C18 S. wing. Dressed stone with slate roof, flanking
chimneys, stone coped gables and moulded stone cornice. 3 storeys and
cellar to main block, wings 2 storeys. West front has 5 bays, sash windows
in architrave frames and central 6 panelled door with stone doorcase of
fluted Corinthian pilasters, sections of entablature and broken segmental
pediment with central coat of arms, approached by 3 moulded stone steps.
2-storey wings each side. Each wing has 2 bays of sash windows, LH wing
has central door. East front 2 storeys with central stone pedimented
door and tall semicircular arched stint window above, 2 sash windows
each side, lower flanking wings each have 2 tall sashes. Interior
staircase, panelling and chimneypieces of c1720 in main part of house.
S. wing has ballroom of c1755 with enriched cornice and coved ceiling
with plaster decoration, chimneypiece with elaborately carved overmantel
framing portrait, and pedimented doorcase with carved frieze and console
brackets. History: The house of c1680 built for Sir William Pritchard, a
City merchant; remodelled by his great nephew Thomas Uthwatt c.1720.
Ballroom added by his nephew Henry.


Listing NGR: SP8524042272

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.