This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.2029 / 52°12'10"N
Longitude: 0.1164 / 0°6'59"E
OS Eastings: 544726
OS Northings: 258183
OS Grid: TL447581
Mapcode National: GBR L79.S9J
Mapcode Global: VHHK2.YWWN
Plus Code: 9F426438+5H
Entry Name: The Buildings Surrounding Principal Court, St Catharine's College
Listing Date: 26 April 1950
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1125480
English Heritage Legacy ID: 47228
Location: Cambridge, Cambridgeshire, CB2
Electoral Ward/Division: Newnham
Built-Up Area: Cambridge
Traditional County: Cambridgeshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire
Church of England Parish: Cambridge St Botolph
Church of England Diocese: Ely
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 10/02/2015
TL 4458 SE 6/281
ST CATHARINE'S COLLEGE
The Buildings surrounding Principal Court
(Formerly listed as The Buildings surrounding Principal Court, ST CATHERINE'S COLLEGE
North Range - the Chapel 1694-7, Robert Grumbold, mason. Brick, with rusticated stone quoins and stone dressings. The interior is panelled with an original plaster ceiling. The original fittings include the oak communion rails; the panelling, reredos, screen and stalls are all by John Austin and Thomas Woodward and are of an exceedingly high quality. The Hall 1673-5, altered in 1868. Brick with stone quoins. Reset and repaired C17 panelling in Hall and Buttry. The Library The floor above the Hall, remodelled 1756-63. Good plasterwork and oak bookcases. West Range Completed 1687. Red brick with stone dressings. In 13 bays with the gateway in the central one. The gateway has a fine frontispiece on either side with a plain gathall between. The East side has two orders, Tuscan and Corinthian; the West side is Ionic. The oak bolection moulded double doors are original. The rest of the range has a considerable amount of fine original woodwork, panelling, fireplaces, doors and staircases. South Range and Ramsden Building The West end of the range is 1681. It
was originally the Master's Lodge and is of 8 bays. The interior has a considerable amount of original bolection moulded panelling and other woodwork. The Ramsden Building, 1757-1772, by James Essex. Brick with rusticated quoins. A symmetrical design, partly a replica of the Chapel exterior. The interior has the original staircases and plaster dentil cornices in the rooms. (RCHM).
Listing NGR: TL4472658183
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings