This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.614 / 51°36'50"N
Longitude: -0.8936 / 0°53'37"W
OS Eastings: 476701
OS Northings: 191153
OS Grid: SU767911
Mapcode National: GBR C3T.NXF
Mapcode Global: VHDW2.GPFL
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 21 June 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1125644
English Heritage Legacy ID: 46834
Location: Turville, Wycombe, Buckinghamshire, RG9
Civil Parish: Turville
Traditional County: Buckinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Buckinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Turville
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
SU 79 SE TURVILLE TURVILLE VILLAGE
3/182 Church of St. Mary
Parish church. Nave originally C12 with C14 chancel; W. tower
completely rebuilt early C16; S. porch probably C18; N. aisle
dated 1733; N. vestry dated 1900. All much restored except for tower.
Flint with stone dressings, rendered chancel, brick N. aisle. Tiled
roofs. W. tower of 2 stages has moulded plinth and string, battlemented
brick parapet with dripmould, and diagonal buttresses. Early C16
openings with 4-centred heads and Tudor hoodmoulds, 2-light to
bell-chamber and W. side, single light to S. W. door with moulded
4-centred arch and hoodmould. N. side of nave has later brick buttresses,
blocked door with pointed chamfered arch, and lunette. S. side has
2 restored 2-light traceried windows, single cusped light to left, and S.
door with pointed arch of 2 orders, the inner roll-moulded, the outer
chamfered. Brick porch with rendered gable. N. aisle has 2 gables to
N., and rusticated brick quoins. C20 door between aisle and vestry.
Chancel has restored Decorated windows similar to S. side of nave: 2 2-light
to S., 3-light to E. Ogee S. door. Interior: tower has semi-circular
niche in N. wall, and C14 chamfered arch to nave. Nave has fine crown post
roof of 4 bays, and C18 2-bay N. arcade with semi-circular arches. C14
chancel arch, 2-centred and chamfered with broad flat soffits. Chancel
completely restored, with cusped piscina, arch to vestry of 1900, and
carved foliage frieze along E. wall. Fittings: medieval tub font;
re-sited C15 carved wooden panel with cusped tracery and rosettes in
tower; 4 C16-C17 pews; some heraldic stained glass in N. aisle.
Monuments: N. aisle has marble monument to members of Perry family c.1740,
with inscription tablets, flanking scrolls, broken cornice,pair of carved
urns and heraldic cartouche. Wall tablet to William Butlin and family
RCHM I p. 297-298.
Listing NGR: SU7670191153
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings