This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.605 / 51°36'18"N
Longitude: -0.8511 / 0°51'3"W
OS Eastings: 479664
OS Northings: 190200
OS Grid: SU796902
Mapcode National: GBR C42.7NG
Mapcode Global: VHDW3.6XFG
Entry Name: Church of St John the Evangelist
Listing Date: 22 January 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1125680
English Heritage Legacy ID: 46723
Location: Hambleden, Wycombe, Buckinghamshire, RG9
Civil Parish: Hambleden
Built-Up Area: Frieth
Traditional County: Buckinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Buckinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Hambleden with Frieth
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
SU 79 SE HAMBLEDEN FRIETH
3/73 Church of St. John the
Parish church. 1849 by J.P. Harrison; S. aisle dated 1872 on rainwater
heads, probably by Woodyer. Flint With stone dressings and tiled roofs.
Nave, N. porch, S. aisle, chancel, S. vestry. Off-set buttresses.
Traceried windows in Decorated style. Nave has 2-light windows, one to
W., and one to N. Arched N. door in'gabled porch with chamfered arch and
2 small trefoil-headed lights to each side. S. aisle has 3 very
steep cross gables, each with 2-light window. Caernarvon arch and small
ogee window to vestry. Chancel has 2-light N. window and 3-light E.
window. Interior: double chamfered S. arcade on cylindrical piers with
moulded caps; large chancel arch with waved chamfer on moulded corbels;
ogee piscina. Traceried wood panelling in chancel. E. window with
scenes of Passion, by Hardman, after design of Augustus Welby Northmore Pugin; 3 other windows by Kempe.
(Pevsner, Buildings of England, Bucks. p. 137).
Listing NGR: SU7966490200
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings