This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.5733 / 51°34'23"N
Longitude: -0.8685 / 0°52'6"W
OS Eastings: 478510
OS Northings: 186651
OS Grid: SU785866
Mapcode National: GBR C4F.977
Mapcode Global: VHDW8.WQQ9
Entry Name: Hambleden Manor House
Listing Date: 21 June 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1125692
English Heritage Legacy ID: 46750
Location: Hambleden, Wycombe, Buckinghamshire, RG9
Civil Parish: Hambleden
Traditional County: Buckinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Buckinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Hambleden with Frieth
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
SU 78 NE HAMBLEDEN HAMBLEDEN VILLAGE
6/98 Hambleden Manor House
House. Early C17 U-plan building, said to have been built 1603 for
Emanuell Scrope, later Earl of Sunderland. Altered and extended
c.1830 and C20. Original part is of flint with narrow brick dressings
and old tile roof. Brick chimneys to left and rear with groups of square
shafts set diagonally. 2 storeys, cellars and attic. Chamfered plinth
moulded string courses. W. front has 3 gables with moulded and plastered
brick coping, each gable having a large 4 light attic window with
chamfered brick mullions and transom, and C20 leaded glazing. Main
floors have 4-bay fenestration in altered openings, the ground floor with
3-pane sashes, the first floor with larger C19 sashes. Ground floor
sashes in right bays have thick glazing bars. Cellar openings in left
bays. 2-storey gabled porch projects to centre, of coursed and squared flint
with moulded brick string raised over chamfered brick lozenge. Moulded
4-centred brick arch with hoodmould; 3-light window above with hollow-
chamfered brick mullions. Similar 2-light window to first floor of left
return, 2-light leaded casement to right return. Flanking porch are lead
rainwater pipes dated 1748. Circa 1800 2-storey brick extension to left,
with dentil eaves and hipped roof. S. front is similar to W. front but
with French doors to ground floor and C19 tripartite sashes to attic. Circa
1830-40 extension to right, of flint with brick dressings, and with gable
and shallow canted projection. Sash windows with gauged brick heads.
Circa 1960 garden room and billiard room, of flint with stone dressings,
to far right. Interior remodelled c.1830 and C20. Ground floor rooms
in S. wing have good c.1830 reeded doorcases and plaster ceiling cornices.
Entrance hall has fine early C19 corner cupboard with pilasters, arch and
cornice, scrolled spandrels, shaped marbled shelves, and dome painted
with flower basket. Some C17 doors and timber partitioning in attic.
RCHM I p.186 Mon.3.
Listing NGR: SU7851086651
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings