This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.6668 / 51°40'0"N
Longitude: -0.8037 / 0°48'13"W
OS Eastings: 482834
OS Northings: 197126
OS Grid: SU828971
Mapcode National: GBR D4P.FN3
Mapcode Global: VHDVY.0CZK
Plus Code: 9C3XM58W+PG
Entry Name: Church of St Botolph
Listing Date: 21 June 1955
Last Amended: 21 June 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1125779
English Heritage Legacy ID: 46549
Location: Bradenham, Buckinghamshire, HP14
Civil Parish: Bradenham
Traditional County: Buckinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Buckinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Bradenham
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
BRADENHAM BRADENHAM VILLAGE
SU 89 NW
3/69 Church of St. Botolph
Parish church. Nave originally c.1100, with C15-early C16 W. tower;
N. chapel added 1542 by William, second Lord Windsor; chancel rebuilt
1863-5 by G.E. Street; C19 S. porch. Flint with stone dressings, the
N. chapel rendered. W. tower is of 2 stages with diagonal buttresses,
moulded parapet, paired lights with 4-centred heads to bell-chamber,
and similar single light to S. side. W. side has 3-light Perpendicular
window over moulded doorway with depressed arch and Tudor hoodmould.
Canted stair projection on N. side. Nave has 2 bays of C14-C15
2-light traceried windows, very much restored. Romanesque S. doorway with
inner and outer roll-mouldings, flanking half-columns, blind tympanum, and
lintel with diaper and cable ornament. Chancel has traceried windows, one
2-light to S. and 3-light to E. N. chapel has W. door with moulded
4-centred arch, terracotta panel with stag's head, partly blocked entry to
crypt, and windows with 4-centred heads, 2 2-light to N., 3-light to E.
Interior has wide unmoulded arch to tower and C19 double-chamfered chancel
arch. C19 piscina, sedilia and arches to N. chapel. 1742 altar, early
C20 communion rails by Canon Vernon Staley, C20 screen and rood. Some
C16-C17 heraldic glass in N. chapel, 1887 Jubilee window in tower. Other
fittings C19 and C20. Black and white marble monument with caryatids in
N. chapel, in memory of Charles West, 1684, attributed to William Kidwell.
RCHM I.p.61-62. Records of Bucks XV p.34.
Listing NGR: SU8283497126
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings