This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.7326 / 51°43'57"N
Longitude: -0.8246 / 0°49'28"W
OS Eastings: 481267
OS Northings: 204420
OS Grid: SP812044
Mapcode National: GBR D3W.8BM
Mapcode Global: VHDVJ.NQF4
Entry Name: Church of St Dunstan
Listing Date: 21 June 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1125811
English Heritage Legacy ID: 46421
Location: Princes Risborough, Wycombe, Buckinghamshire, HP27
Civil Parish: Princes Risborough
Built-Up Area: Princes Risborough
Traditional County: Buckinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Buckinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Monks Risborough
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
SP 8104 RINCES RISBOROUGH BURTON LANE
8/150 Church of St. Dunstan
Parish church. Early C14 W. tower, remainder late C14-C15 with C19 vestry/
organ chamber to N. of chancel. Restored 1863. Flint with stone
dressings, tiled chancel and S. porch, lead roofs to nave, aisles, tower
and N. transept. W. tower of 3 stages has moulded plinth and strings,
angle buttresses, and parapet with carved head corbel table. 2-light
traceried openings to bell-chamber, lancets below to N. and S.,
2-light traceried window and moulded doorway to W., the doorway with
carved head stops to hoodmould. Square projecting stair turret at S.E.
corner. Nave has late C15 clerestory, with 4 bays of 3-light cusped
windows and restored battlemented parapet. N. aisle has small C20
2-light cusped window at W. end, C20 3-light cusped window to right,
3-light Perpendicular window to left, and moulded doorway. S. aisle has
chamfered plinth, dripmould, and 2 2-light traceried windows, the right
with moulded surround and carved head stops. Internally this window has
moulded arches and inner arch on slender shafts with moulded capitals.
C19 3-light window to E. Moulded S. doorway with stoup to right. C15
gabled porch has restored arch with moulded chalk spandrels, cusped
blind window above, and single cusped lights to sides. N. transept
has restored 3-light Perpendicular windows with carved head hoodmould
stops to N. and E. Similar windows to N. and S. of chancel, the S. side
also with small door, completely C19, the E. end with C19 3-light
traceried window. Interior: triple chamfered arch to tower with small
arched opening to chamber above. Nave has clunch arcades with 4 bays
of double hollow chamfered arches, broach stopped, on octagonal piers with
moulded capitals, the N.E. arch to transept which has similar arch to N.
aisle. Central spandrel of N. arcade has cusped niche. Nave, aisles and
transept have good C15 roofs with moulded beams and traceried spandrels,
the transept and N. side of nave with carved head stone corbels. Arched
openings to rood loft stairs at N.E. corner of nave. Stone bracket
carved with foliage behind pulpit, another stone bracket with carved
head in N. transept. Transept also has clunch niche with remains of
gabled canopy and finials. Wide chancel arch with double hollow chamfer.
Remainder of chancel totally restored. S. porch has C15 roof with moulded
beams, queen strut trusses and tracery panels to tie beams, one with a
carved head. Fittings: C12 font with fluted basin and carved frieze;
restored C15 screen with 5 moulded arches and restored painted figures in
lower traceried panels; 4 C15 bench ends in nave, the poppyheads with
carved figures and faces; medieval S. door; medieval floor tiles at
E. end of nave and in transept; other fittings C19. C18 marble wall
tablets, C15 brasses with half-figures of man and wife in S. aisle.
RCHM I p. 257-9.
Listing NGR: SP8126504419
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings