This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.7244 / 51°43'27"N
Longitude: -0.8345 / 0°50'4"W
OS Eastings: 480597
OS Northings: 203492
OS Grid: SP805034
Mapcode National: GBR C2J.ZSX
Mapcode Global: VHDVJ.HX5G
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 21 June 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1125815
English Heritage Legacy ID: 46429
Location: Princes Risborough, Wycombe, Buckinghamshire, HP27
Civil Parish: Princes Risborough
Built-Up Area: Princes Risborough
Traditional County: Buckinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Buckinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Princes Risborough with Ilmer
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
SP 8003 PRINCES RISBOROUGH CHURCH STREET
9/158 Church of St. Mary
Parish church. C13 and C14, heavily restored and part rebuilt 1867-8 by
Arthur Blomfield, tower completely rebuilt by J. Oldrid Scott 1907-8.
Flint with limestone dressings. Tiled roofs to nave and chancel, lead
roofs to aisles. Nave, aisles, W. tower, S. porch, chancel, C19 organ
chamber to N. W. tower is of 3 stages with diagonal buttresses,
chequered parapet and octagonal spire with lucarnes. Elaborate
3-light traceried openings to bell-chamber, cusped lights below,
2-light traceried window and door to W. Nave has 5-bay clerestory
with C19 cusped round windows. Aisles have moulded parapets. S.
aisle has 2 3-light windows to S., the left cusped, the right with grouped
lancets. 2-light E. window with Y tracery. Moulded S. doorway with
one shaft to each jamb. C19 gabled porch. N. aisle rebuilt C19 with
traceried windows, 2 in Decorated style to right, 2 Perpendicular to
left. Re-sited moulded doorway. Chancel has moulded sill course and
2-light traceried windows, one to N., 2 to S., the left window above a
small blocked rectangular opening with chamfered surround. Moulded S.
doorway, C19 3-light traceried window to E. Interior: tall narrow
C19 arch to tower. Nave has 7-bay arcades of double chamfered
arches,the W. arches on quatrefoil piers and responds, the E. arches
inserted C19 with circular piers, other piers octagonal. S. aisle retains
late C13 and early C14 details: E. window has moulded arch on shafts,
and hoodmould with carved head stops; very fine S.E. window with moulded
arches on attached shafts, and matching inner screen; sedile and piscina
with cusped ogee canopies on shafts; 4 cusped ogee tomb recesses.
Chancel arch is totally restored, as is most of chancel. N.E. window
retains late C13 moulded arch on shafts. Trefoil piscina. C19 roods
throughout. Fittings: good early C17 hexagonal pulpit with arcaded panels;
late C16 chest with inlaid panels and strapwork frieze; other fittings
and glass C19. E. window by Kempe and Tower 1909. Monuments: marble
tablet in chancel to John and Rebecca Grace 1764 and 1770.
RCHM I p. 269 - 270.
Listing NGR: SP8059703492
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings