This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.6643 / 52°39'51"N
Longitude: 0.1593 / 0°9'33"E
OS Eastings: 546122
OS Northings: 309588
OS Grid: TF461095
Mapcode National: GBR L1Q.YYC
Mapcode Global: WHJPH.F929
Entry Name: CASTLE SQUARE (See details for further address information)
Listing Date: 17 July 1951
Last Amended: 31 October 1983
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1125909
English Heritage Legacy ID: 48209
Location: Wisbech, Fenland, Cambridgeshire, PE13
Civil Parish: Wisbech
Built-Up Area: Wisbech
Traditional County: Cambridgeshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire
Church of England Parish: Wisbech St Peter and St Paul
Church of England Diocese: Ely
The entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 21 September 2017.
WISBECH CASTLE SQUARE
6/13 No. 4 (York Row)
House built c.1797. One of a terrace of houses continuing from
the Crescent along York Row, part of the planned circus of the
Castle Estate, designed and built by Joseph Medworth (b.1752,
d.1827) from 1793 to 1816. Local brown brick; slate roof, side
stack. Three storeys and basement; three 'bays'. Stone coped
parapet, painted stone bands at first and second floor. Three,
hung sash windows without glazing bars recessed in cambered red
brick arches with stone cills at first and second floor. Two
similar windows to right hand of entrance. Wooden doorcase with
broken pediment and fluted half-round columns. Six panelled
door and fanlight with patterned glazing bars. Two stone steps.
NMR (C. Gregory, Wisbech photographic collection), 1982.
Pevsner, Buildings in England, p.502.
Colvin, p.386, 1950.
VCH Cambs, p.242.
Annis G., A History of Wisbech Castle, 1977.
Gardiner, History of Wisbech, p.43, 1898.
Watson, History of Wisbech prints, 1827.
Walker and Craddock, History of Wisbech, p.278;1849.
Listing NGR: TF4611109546
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings