This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.7271 / 52°43'37"N
Longitude: 0.1118 / 0°6'42"E
OS Eastings: 542707
OS Northings: 316472
OS Grid: TF427164
Mapcode National: GBR L12.529
Mapcode Global: WHJP2.PQF7
Plus Code: 9F42P4G6+RP
Entry Name: Church of St Giles
Listing Date: 23 June 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1125926
English Heritage Legacy ID: 48146
Location: Tydd St. Giles, Fenland, Cambridgeshire, PE13
Civil Parish: Tydd St. Giles
Built-Up Area: Tydd St Giles
Traditional County: Cambridgeshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire
Church of England Parish: Tydd St Giles
Church of England Diocese: Ely
TF 41 NW TYDD ST. GILES CHURCH LANE
3/71 (East Side)
23.6.52 Church of St. Giles
Parish church. Late C12 nave with C14 north and south aisles. The chancel was
destroyed by Gilbert Scott in the 1860s. The church is noteworthy for its nave arcade
and west front. Barnack stone with rubblestone and some brick. C14 west doorway.
Ogee arch with running foliate ornament and foliated terminal. Above are three C14
niches with trefoil heads and ogee arches divided by small piers, set diagonally, with
pointed finials. Two buttresses, each of three stages, and each with a similar niche
to the second stage. West window of five trefoil lights with foiled and intersecting
tracery in head. Two centred arch. Nave has original late C12 clerestory, now
blocked, of four windows. Two centred arches of one chamfered order. Above is the
C15 or C16 clerestory of six windows, each of two cinquefoil lights in a square head.
Beast gargoyles to C15 or C16 cornice above clerestory. Roof raised C19. South
aisle. Three C14 windows of three trefoil lights with decorated tracery in four-
centred arches, and two late C14 or C15 windows, also of three trefoil lights but with
vertical tracery. South doorway. Two-centred arch with roll and hollow mouldings.
North aisle, mainly C14. Five windows of three trefoil lights with decorated tracery
in four-centred arches. North porch. Late C13 or early C14. Two-centred outer arch
of one moulded and one chamfered order, with half-octagonal responds with moulded
capitals and bases. Interior. North and south arcades, late C12 and of six bays.
Round-headed arches of two chamfered orders on round columns with scalloped or foliate
capitals on hold-water bases. Chancel arch C14, two-centred and of hollow and roll
moulding, the responds have half-round attached columns with foliate capitals and
moulded bases and are flanked by two similar smaller attached shafts or columns.
Piscina, C14, in south wall of south chapel. Trefoil head in ogee arch. Font, C15,
hexagonal bowl and stem on double stepped base. Bowl carved with heraldic devices.
Inscription. One of the columns in the nave arcade is carved with a C14 inscription.
VCH (Cambs), Vol.IV, p.229.
Pevsner (Buildings of England), p.475.
Listing NGR: TF4270716472
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings