This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.6409 / 52°38'27"N
Longitude: 0.1728 / 0°10'22"E
OS Eastings: 547114
OS Northings: 307012
OS Grid: TF471070
Mapcode National: GBR M3G.GHJ
Mapcode Global: WHJPH.MWH8
Entry Name: Elm House
Listing Date: 23 June 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1125941
English Heritage Legacy ID: 48081
Location: Elm, Fenland, Cambridgeshire, PE14
Civil Parish: Elm
Built-Up Area: Wisbech
Traditional County: Cambridgeshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire
Church of England Parish: Elm All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Ely
TF 40 NE ELM MAIN ROAD
23.6.52 Elm House
House, C.1630, with late C18 facade. Red brick, English bond with paler bricks,
Flemish bond, to front wall. Parapetted roof of Collyweston slates to front range and
Welsh slates to roof of rear range. Tumbled gable end parapets and projecting end
stacks, one to the north corbelled out. Rear range has a ridge and end stack.
T-plan. Front range of two storeys and attics. Three dormers. The parapet has
recessed panels and stone coping and the facade is framed by pilaster strips and bands
above first floor and between the storeys. The centre bay projects slightly. Stone
sills and gauged, red brick arches to range of five recessed hung sashes each of
twelve panes. Three stone steps, segmental in plan lead up to central doorway with
flat hood on moulded wood brackets. Six panelled door with rectangular fanlight. The
c.1630 part of the front range has rubbed brick band between the storeys. The rear
range was originally of two storeys but an attic storey was added when the roof was
raised in the late C18. Band at former eaves height and between storeys. At first
floor, three former window openings, now blocked, with rusticated brick surrounds.
Segmental arches to two late C18 flush frame hung sashes in open boxing. Doorway,
opposite the stack forming a lobby entry. In north wall of rear range at ground floor
one three light casement with ovolo mullions, probably reused. Interior. Late C18
main staircase of six flights and two landings, open-string with three turned
balusters to each tread, moulded and raked rail with curtail and scroll tread ends.
Panelled dado to staircase. One ground floor room panelled in two heights with
moulded dado and modillion cornice. Shouldered fireplace surround with carved
pulvinated frieze, dentils to mantel cornice and a frieze of Vitruvian scroll
ornament. Shouldered and ramped overmantle with drops of fruit and foliage. Doorways
have shouldered architraves. Fragments of 1630 panelling, reset, are visible in
cupboards between front range and kitchen.
Pevesner (Buildings of England), p.336.
VCH (Cambs) Col.IV, p.183.
Listing NGR: TF4711407012
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings