This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.1994 / 52°11'57"N
Longitude: 0.1133 / 0°6'47"E
OS Eastings: 544526
OS Northings: 257785
OS Grid: TL445577
Mapcode National: GBR L7G.5FM
Mapcode Global: VHHK2.XZ8C
Plus Code: 9F4254X7+P8
Entry Name: The Malting House
Listing Date: 2 November 1972
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1126149
English Heritage Legacy ID: 47639
Location: Cambridge, Cambridgeshire, CB3
Electoral Ward/Division: Newnham
Built-Up Area: Cambridge
Traditional County: Cambridgeshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire
Church of England Parish: Cambridge St Botolph
Church of England Diocese: Ely
The Malting House
TL 4457 NE 9/596
House, converted from malt-house and attached kiln by Dunbar Smith & Cecil Brewer for the Rev H F Stewart, the Dean of Trinity College Chapel. Late C18, converted 1902-09, with late C20 alterations.
Grey gault brick. 2 storeys and attic. The street front has a bow window supported on pillars with a porch beneath, above a round window. At rear on left a conical tiled oasthouse. The Malting Lane front has 6 windows, casements below, sashes with glazing bars above, 3 attic dormers. Tiled mansard roof, red brick chimney. Old stone range at rear on lane, now Friends' Meeting House. Early Cl9. Brick. Various openings. Slate roof. The Malting House forms a group with all the listed buildings in Malting Lane (qv).
INTERIOR has elegant stick baluster staircase with bowed fronts to upper landings, which rises through 4 floors and is lit by a double roof lantern. This stair is entered from a small entrance lobby which has Delft tile skirting and a green tile fireplace. The klin or former library has a brick corner fireplace, though only a single fitted bookcase survives now converted into cupboards and shelves, pilastered door surround plus exposed roof timbers. Drawing room has fine chimney piece also with green tiles, and original skirting, coving and picture rail. Dining room has tiled fireplace with arched overmantel and two exposed beams. Some bedrooms retain elegant brick fireplaces and fitted cupboards.
This is an early example of a conversion of an industrial building carried out by one of the more important architectural firms of the Edwardian period. This house retains interesting and unusual interior features.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings