This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.2146 / 52°12'52"N
Longitude: 0.0953 / 0°5'43"E
OS Eastings: 543247
OS Northings: 259441
OS Grid: TL432594
Mapcode National: GBR L78.0Y7
Mapcode Global: VHHK2.LLRN
Entry Name: The Observatory
Listing Date: 26 April 1950
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1126156
English Heritage Legacy ID: 47569
Location: Cambridge, Cambridgeshire, CB3
Electoral Ward/Division: Castle
Built-Up Area: Cambridge
Traditional County: Cambridgeshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire
Church of England Parish: Cambridge The Ascension
Church of England Diocese: Ely
TL 45 NW 20/87B 26.4.50.
Commenced 1822. John Clement Mead, architect. 2 storeys, ashlar in Neo-
Greek style, slate and lead roofs. Built on half H shaped plan with wings
extending towards the North and projecting central tetrastyle portico of
Doric Order on South and entrance front. Small movable dome on centre
of building. Built of brick faced with Bath stone and with a granite plinth.
The dome is copper covered. Some original internal features. (RCHM 19).
Listing NGR: TL4324759441
Other nearby listed buildings