This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.191 / 52°11'27"N
Longitude: 0.4664 / 0°27'59"E
OS Eastings: 568686
OS Northings: 257616
OS Grid: TL686576
Mapcode National: GBR PCX.QQ2
Mapcode Global: VHJGY.16F7
Entry Name: All Saints Parish Church
Listing Date: 19 August 1959
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1126290
English Heritage Legacy ID: 49200
Location: Kirtling, East Cambridgeshire, Cambridgeshire, CB8
District: East Cambridgeshire
Civil Parish: Kirtling
Traditional County: Cambridgeshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire
Church of England Parish: Kirtling All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Ely
TL 65 NE KIRTLING NEWMARKET ROAD
7/122 All Saints Parish Church
Parish church. C12 nave wall to south west with quoin and
window, south arcade of three bays, and fine south doorway.
Chancel early C13 with blocked lancet windows. C15 tower, north
arcade and aisle, transept chapel and south aisle (north aisle
rebuilt 1982, south aisle with C18 windows). North memorial
chapel mid C16. Flint and pebble rubble with limestone and
clunch dressings. External walls partly plastered. Red brick
chapel. Plain tile roofs and pantile aisle roofs. Tower of
three stages with plain parapet and angle buttresses. Two-
trefoiled-light belfry windows with quatrefoil in two-centred
arch. External door to belfry stair. Embattled clerestorey
parapet with six, two-cinquefoiled-light windows with four-
centred arches. C12 window in nave wall with lightly carved
round headed arch. South aisle with plain parapet encasing C15
porch. Some flush flint work at plinth, four three-light
windows in flat arches. Memorial chapel with embattled parapet
and three stage buttresses. Mullioned and transomed windows
with some lights blocked. South doorway with patterned attached
shafts round arch with chevron and billet moulding, tympanum
with sunken carved panel of Christ in Majesty; two carved heads
in angle of opening. Modern door with C12 iron work. Interior
details. Nave arcade to south C12 of three bays with round
arches and octagonal piers. Carved shields above each arch.
Arcade of six bays to north quatrefoil in plan, with two-centred
arches of two chamfered orders. Nave roof of six bays with
braced king posts to ridge, carved bosses at intersections of
moulded principal rafters, moulded tie beams, carved braces and
carved cornice. North aisle roof of six bays, supported on
corbels of carved stone heads, moulded principals with bosses.
North transept roof with carved figure corbels. Two good C15
niches, one resited. Chancel window dated '1564 EN'. East
window modern replacement. Seven hatchments in south aisle and
against tower wall, also with weatherings of early roof. For
north chapel and chancel monuments see (Pevsner p.419).
Pevsner, Buildings of England, p.418.
RCHM (Cambs notes), 1953.
Bailey, Kirtling, 1979.
Listing NGR: TL6868657616
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings