History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The School House

A Grade II* Listed Building in Chippenham, Cambridgeshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.3008 / 52°18'2"N

Longitude: 0.4371 / 0°26'13"E

OS Eastings: 566270

OS Northings: 269763

OS Grid: TL662697

Mapcode National: GBR N96.PBP

Mapcode Global: VHJGB.JFFJ

Entry Name: The School House

Listing Date: 1 December 1951

Last Amended: 31 January 1984

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1126377

English Heritage Legacy ID: 48994

Location: Chippenham, East Cambridgeshire, Cambridgeshire, CB7

County: Cambridgeshire

District: East Cambridgeshire

Civil Parish: Chippenham

Built-Up Area: Chippenham

Traditional County: Cambridgeshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire

Church of England Parish: Chippenham St Margaret

Church of England Diocese: Ely

Find accommodation in
Chippenham

Listing Text

TL 66 NE CHIPPENHAM HIGH STREET
(south-west side)

6/69 The School
1.12.51 House
(formerly listed as
School)
GV II*

House, late C17, rebuilt c.1708 as a village school by Lord
Orford, with medieval limestone and clunch foundations and
basement walls. Local buff and red brick with red brick window
and door jambs and quoins; limestone details. Plain tile hipped
roof. One storey and basement with small C19 single storey
brick extension to rear built as a soup kitchen. Facade altered
in C19 when original triangular pediment was removed, and the
parapets and possibly the window arches rebuilt. Symmetrical
facade divided by giant brick pilasters with dentil enriched
stone cornices; plinth with moulded stone band and three round,
red gauged brick basement windows now sealed. Main entrance
approached by brick steps and low side walls; eight, raised and
fielded panelled door and rectangular fanlight with glazing bars
in moulded wooden architrave. Wooden cornice forming shallow
canopy supported on carved brackets. Eight round headed windows
with fixed lights and glazing bars in original wooden frames in
gauged brick arches with stone imposts and fanned key blocks.
Interior converted to a dwelling. Basement approached from rear
by C17 brick steps, has similar bricks in some internal walls
and tunnel vaults. The clunch walls, possibly C13, with some
re-used stone have two projecting corbels and possibly formed
the foundations and basement walls to the Knights Hospitlers
preceptory.

Wm Cole. Mss. Chippenham, C.R.O.
Estate Map 1712 of Lord Orford's Estate. C.R.O.
Barber R W. History of Chippenham, pp.10, 29. 1897
Pevsner. Buildings in England, p.322
V.C.H., Cambs. Vol. 2, p.264-66


Listing NGR: TL6627069763

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.