This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.2698 / 52°16'11"N
Longitude: 0.3282 / 0°19'41"E
OS Eastings: 558958
OS Northings: 266063
OS Grid: TL589660
Mapcode National: GBR N9F.RRK
Mapcode Global: VHHK0.M6VV
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 19 August 1959
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1126396
English Heritage Legacy ID: 48937
Location: Burwell, East Cambridgeshire, Cambridgeshire, CB25
District: East Cambridgeshire
Civil Parish: Burwell
Built-Up Area: Burwell
Traditional County: Cambridgeshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire
Church of England Parish: Burwell with Reach
Church of England Diocese: Ely
TL 5866 TL 5966 BURWELL HIGH STREET
15/21 16/21 CHURCH OF ST MARY
Parish Church, very fine, Perpendicular, believed to be the work
of Reginald Ely, master mason of King's College Chapel
Cambridge. Built while John Higham was vicar 1439-67;
inscription above chancel arch 1464 for the completion of the
nave roof. The early C12 tower rebuilt above first two stages
with C15 third stage and octagon; western end of C14 south aisle
survives in part with C15 vestry or treasury. Spirlet above
lantern to the tower dated 1799. Several C19 restorations, one
in 1862 by Mr Edlin, another by George Street in 1877. Walls of
field stones, flint and rubble with limestone dressings. Some
re-used Barnack stone; interior of clunch. Roofs covered with
lead; plain tiles to porches. The church is noteworthy for its
very fine proportions and richly carved ornament to chancel and
to the roofs of the nave, chancel and aisles (For complete
architectural description and fittings see RCHM North-East
Cambs. with measured drawings and plates). Wall painting of St
Christopher, fresco originally covered in 1649. Three brass
floor monuments and indents include a palimpsest brass possibly
of John Laurence de Wardboys, Abbot of Ramsey 1508 to 1539.
d.1542. Wall monument of painted clunch with two kneeling
figures to Thomas Gerard and his wife 1608. Canopied tomb chest
to Lee Cotton 1613 with figure in armour. Stalls in chancel
with some re-used C15 tracery, and pews 1860; chancel screen
C15 restored by Mr Allix of Swaffham Prior 1877; mosaic panels
inserted into reredos 1877; pulpit 1885; rose window reglazed
1885; oak screens across tower and vestry arches 1887; brass
lecturn with eagle book rest 1901; memorial windows in north
and south aisles by Hugh Eaton 1905 and 1934. Coffin stand
possibly late C17. Scratch-sundial medieval, re-used.
RCHM, North-East Cambs. p.18-25, plates 25-33, 1972
Pevsner Buildings of England, pp.310-12
Cole Ms C.R.O.
Sayer, W. Notes on Burwell Church C.C. (Cambridge Collection)
Gathercole, A.F. Burwell and its Church. 1972
Lewis J. Scratch sundial, 1980. C.C.
Lucas C. Fenman's World. 1930
Taylor C. Cambridgeshire Landscape, p.156, 1973
Listing NGR: TL5895866063
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings