History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Wicken Hall

A Grade II Listed Building in Wicken, Cambridgeshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.31 / 52°18'35"N

Longitude: 0.312 / 0°18'43"E

OS Eastings: 557711

OS Northings: 270498

OS Grid: TL577704

Mapcode National: GBR N91.1QT

Mapcode Global: VHHJT.C69J

Entry Name: Wicken Hall

Listing Date: 1 December 1951

Last Amended: 17 November 1983

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1126420

English Heritage Legacy ID: 48891

Location: Wicken, East Cambridgeshire, Cambridgeshire, CB7

County: Cambridgeshire

District: East Cambridgeshire

Civil Parish: Wicken

Built-Up Area: Wicken

Traditional County: Cambridgeshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire

Church of England Parish: Wicken St Laurence

Church of England Diocese: Ely

Find accommodation in
Wicken

Listing Text

TL 57 SE WICKEN CHURCH ROAD
(South Side)

8/83 Wicken Hall
1.12.51 (formerly listed
as Hall Farmhouse)

GV
II

House, late C16 or early Cl7 with west gable end wall probably
surviving from earlier building on the site. In c.1760 the
facade was remodelled and gable ends partly rebuilt. Timber-
framed, plaster rendered on a clunch sill. The west gable end
is of narrow red brick, part English bond on a high sill of
clunch with one corner block with a masonry joint. The upper
courses of this wall were rebuilt in c.1760 in yellow gault
brick. The roof is steeply pitched, plain tiled with c.1760
gable end parapets on kneelers. The two principal chimney
stacks date from the late C16 or early C17, although they have
been rebuilt. The original house is of L-plan with a stair
turret in the angle. Two storeys and attic. One gabled
dormer. Range of three hung sashes, each of twelve panes. Two
similar windows, but of sixteen panes on either side of c.l760
pedimented doorway with doorcase of fluted pilasters and Doric
frieze. Semi-circular headed fanlight with radial and swagged
glazing bars above a panelled door. Inside there is a large
inglenook in the former hall and another abutting in the rear
service wing. Another ground floor room has a late C16 or early
Cl7 fireplace of clunch. Wave moulded four-centred arch with
rosette and foliate decoration in the spandrels, and stop
chamfered jambs on a high base. Two similar but smaller and
plainer fireplaces of clunch are visible on the first floor, and
a fourth fireplace is now sealed. The roof is of clasped side
purlin construction with the principals linked by collars. The
wall bracing is long and straight
RCHM: Record Card.


Listing NGR: TL5771170498

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.