This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.3219 / 52°19'18"N
Longitude: 0.2802 / 0°16'48"E
OS Eastings: 555502
OS Northings: 271753
OS Grid: TL555717
Mapcode National: GBR M7G.KMV
Mapcode Global: VHHJL.SWZY
Entry Name: Spinney Abbey
Listing Date: 17 November 1983
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1126430
English Heritage Legacy ID: 48914
Location: Wicken, East Cambridgeshire, Cambridgeshire, CB7
District: East Cambridgeshire
Civil Parish: Wicken
Traditional County: Cambridgeshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire
Church of England Parish: Wicken St Laurence
Church of England Diocese: Ely
TL 57 NE WICKEN STRETHAM ROAD
8/106 Spinney Abbey
House dated 1775 on right hand gabled end on or near the site of
a C13 priory of Augustinian Canons. The house is built on a
plan of two parallel gables linked by a short hall range. The
walls are of coursed Barnack ashlar reused from the priory and
also of clunch, probably from Burwell. There is some gault
brick in the rear walls. Plain tiled gable roofs. Two storeys
and attics. Garden front has two cross-frame casements with
later glazing, to each gable end and a central doorway. A
similar window in the rear wall still retains its original
leaded lights. Inside there are two early C17 doors reset in an
attic and some square sunken panelling of similar date reset in
a bedroom. The house has a cellar lined with clunch with an
early C17 stop chamfered ceiling beam. A ground floor room has
a reused beam of similar date set diagonally. In the kitchen
there is a 1775 shouldered fireplace surround and a corner
cupboard with raised and fielded panelling. In the garden to
the west there are a number of pieces of C14 moulded Barnack
limestone from the priory. One is a wheel-cross, another a bell
shaped capital and others quatrefoils with small shafts where
the foils meet, the latter pieces of stone probably formed part
of an arcade.
RCHM: Record Card.
Pevsner: Buildings of England, p.485.
Listing NGR: TL5550271753
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings