This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.3426 / 52°20'33"N
Longitude: 0.4096 / 0°24'34"E
OS Eastings: 564245
OS Northings: 274349
OS Grid: TL642743
Mapcode National: GBR N8S.2DN
Mapcode Global: VHJG4.1CXZ
Entry Name: Priory Church of St Margaret of Antioch
Listing Date: 1 December 1951
Last Amended: 17 November 1983
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1126476
English Heritage Legacy ID: 48821
Location: Isleham, East Cambridgeshire, Cambridgeshire, CB7
District: East Cambridgeshire
Civil Parish: Isleham
Built-Up Area: Isleham
Traditional County: Cambridgeshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire
Church of England Parish: Isleham St Andrew
Church of England Diocese: Ely
TL 6474 ISLEHAM CHURCH STREET
14/10 Priory Church of
St. Margaret of Antioch
/formerly listed as
Priory (now barn)7
A small Benedictine priory of c.1080-90 built by Count John and
given to the abbey of St. Jacut in Brittany. Later it was used
as a barn and now it is in the care of the Department of the
Environment. Although restoration has taken place, the priory
is substantially intact and remains a rare example of Romanesque
work. The walls are principally of clunch laid in herringbone
pattern with Barnack limestone plinth and dressings to door and
window openings. The roofs have been rebuilt and that of the
nave has been raised. Plan of nave, choir and apsed sanctuary,
originally with a semi-domical roof. The west end has two C16
buttresses of flint with red brick quoins and a single round-
headed lancet window. The barn doors in the north and south
walls of the nave are also probably of the C16. The south
doorway of the choir and most of the window openings are C13
with Caernarvon heads. The apse has original pilaster
buttresses of Barnack. Interior. Round-headed choir arch,
double recessed and unmoulded, on responds each with two
attached half round columns with cushion capitals and splayed
bases. Vacant nook shafts on west side. Sanctuary arch has
been demolished but the rectangular piers have survived with
moulded capitals and bases. At the west end of the nave there
are three bulls eye window openings.
RCHM: Record Card.
Pevsner: Buildings of England, p.416.
Listing NGR: TL6424574349
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings