This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.424 / 51°25'26"N
Longitude: -0.1618 / 0°9'42"W
OS Eastings: 527900
OS Northings: 171045
OS Grid: TQ279710
Mapcode National: GBR D9.5VJ
Mapcode Global: VHGRC.4GTQ
Entry Name: Church of St Boniface
Listing Date: 15 August 1995
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1126543
English Heritage Legacy ID: 422728
Location: Wandsworth, London, SW17
Electoral Ward/Division: Graveney
Built-Up Area: Wandsworth
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: Tooting Graveney St Nicholas
Church of England Diocese: Southwark
TQ 27 71
CHURCH OF ST BONIFACE
Church; Roman Catholic. Begun 1906-7; completed 1927. Architect: Father Benedict Williamson, with J.H. Benet Foss. Brick with stone dressing in Venetian Romanesque style. Nave with side aisles and integral square brick tower with stone banding around the belfry at north-west corner. Slate roof; copper-covered spire. Basilican plan. West elevation to Mitcham Road: Central double-height gable of nave pierced by large recessed rose window. This is framed by a simple segmental band of stone springing from stone lintels supported by four short columns with abstract Egyptianised capitals. Below these are two projecting features with stone Byzantine-style hoods with a single recessed window. Tripartite ground floor with central round-arched entrance divided by a single column. The columns on the ground floor all have the abstract, neo-Egyptian capitals. Above the middle column dividing the entrance is a carved stone figure of Christ.
INTERIOR. Two six-bay arcades, smooth and flat with clerestory windows above. Plain round columns with carved letters on the capitals. Timber tie-beam roof to nave. Lean-to aisles with timber ceilings. Aisle walls lined with mosaic panels in the form of tryptichs depicting the Stations of the Cross. Simple wooden panelling below. Apsidal chancel at east end with curved fitted altar of stone, with Egyptian-style capitals. South altar: statue in niche within larger architectural surround with triangular hood. North altar: Madonna and Child in niche within surround with semi-circular hood. Original simple oak pews. Organ gallery at west end.
Benedict Williamson (1868-1948) trained as an architect but became a priest in 1906, the year work on this church began. He returned to architecture in the 1920s, when he was amongst the first architects to take up Egyptian style motifs. This is recommended as the best of his later works.
Listing NGR: TQ2790071045
Other nearby listed buildings