This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.6652 / 52°39'54"N
Longitude: 0.1573 / 0°9'26"E
OS Eastings: 545989
OS Northings: 309686
OS Grid: TF459096
Mapcode National: GBR L1Q.YBZ
Mapcode Global: WHJPH.D85L
Entry Name: Old Town Hall
Listing Date: 17 July 1951
Last Amended: 31 October 1983
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1126633
English Heritage Legacy ID: 48336
Location: Wisbech, Fenland, Cambridgeshire, PE13
Civil Parish: Wisbech
Built-Up Area: Wisbech
Traditional County: Cambridgeshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire
Church of England Parish: Wisbech St Peter and St Paul
Church of England Diocese: Ely
TF 4509 TF 4609
(Old Town Hall)
Town Hall built originally as the Exchange Hall in 1811 by
Joseph Medworth (1752-1827) with open, arcaded ground floor.
Archways infilled in 1831, and after 1836 became the Town Hall.
The Corn Exchange to rear was built in 1857, architect Bellamy.
Street facade altered in 1856. Local brick with limestone. Two
storeys; five 'bays', three central 'bays' slightly project.
Parapet with panels of half balusters, central pediment with
cross-keys in relief. Deep modillioned cornice. Rusticated
quoins at first floor, and rusticated ground floor, Ionic
pilasters divide 'bays' at first floor; five, four-paned hung
sash windows in moulded, flat arched limestone cases and cills.
Recessed in original arcade are two very fine double, cast-iron
doors with pierced decorated panels shaped to round arches and
three hung sash windows with hinges for shutters. Mid C19
flanking, two storey wings, recessed, with entrance to Council
Chamber at first floor to left hand, and arch to carriageway at
right hand. Interior, and council chamber has good mid C19
Colvin, p.386, 1951.
VCH Cambs, p.242.
Pevsner, Buildings in England, p.500.
Walker and Craddock, History of Wisbech, p.428, 1849.
A. Peckover, watercolour, c.1853, W. & F. Mus.
Photographs and prints, C18 and C19, W. & F. Mus.
Listing NGR: TF4598909686
Other nearby listed buildings