History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Wisbech Town Council Chamber

A Grade II Listed Building in Wisbech, Cambridgeshire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.6652 / 52°39'54"N

Longitude: 0.1573 / 0°9'26"E

OS Eastings: 545989

OS Northings: 309686

OS Grid: TF459096

Mapcode National: GBR L1Q.YBZ

Mapcode Global: WHJPH.D85L

Entry Name: Wisbech Town Council Chamber

Listing Date: 17 July 1951

Last Amended: 31 October 1983

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1126633

English Heritage Legacy ID: 48336

Location: Wisbech, Fenland, Cambridgeshire, PE13

County: Cambridgeshire

District: Fenland

Civil Parish: Wisbech

Built-Up Area: Wisbech

Traditional County: Cambridgeshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire

Church of England Parish: Wisbech St Peter and St Paul

Church of England Diocese: Ely

Find accommodation in
Wisbech

Description

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 04/02/2019

TF 4509 and TF 4609
5/138 and 6/138

WISBECH
NORTH BRINK
No. 1 (Wisbech Town Council Chamber)

(Formerly listed as No. 2 (Old Town Hall))

GV
II
Town Hall built originally as the Exchange Hall in 1811 by Joseph Medworth (1752-1827) with open, arcaded ground floor. Archways infilled in 1831, and after 1836 became the Town Hall. The Corn Exchange to rear was built in 1857, architect Bellamy. Street facade altered in 1856. Local brick with limestone.

Two storeys; five bays, three central bays slightly project. Parapet with panels of half balusters, central pediment with cross-keys in relief. Deep modillioned cornice. Rusticated quoins at first floor, and rusticated ground floor, Ionic pilasters divide 'bays' at first floor; five, four-paned hung sash windows in moulded, flat arched limestone cases and cills. Recessed in original arcade are two very fine double, cast-iron doors with pierced decorated panels shaped to round arches and three hung sash windows with hinges for shutters. Mid C19 flanking, two storey wings, recessed, with entrance to Council Chamber at first floor to left hand, and arch to carriageway at right hand. Interior, and council chamber has good mid C19 details.

Colvin, p.386, 1951.
VCH Cambs, p.242.
Pevsner, Buildings in England, p.500.
Walker and Craddock, History of Wisbech, p.428, 1849.
A. Peckover, watercolour, c.1853, W. & F. Mus.
Photographs and prints, C18 and C19, W. & F. Mus.

Listing NGR: TF4598909686

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.