This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.6654 / 52°39'55"N
Longitude: 0.1596 / 0°9'34"E
OS Eastings: 546142
OS Northings: 309706
OS Grid: TF461097
Mapcode National: GBR L1Q.Z0M
Mapcode Global: WHJPH.F87H
Entry Name: The Rose and Crown Inn
Listing Date: 31 October 1983
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1126656
English Heritage Legacy ID: 48292
Location: Wisbech, Fenland, Cambridgeshire, PE13
Civil Parish: Wisbech
Built-Up Area: Wisbech
Traditional County: Cambridgeshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire
Church of England Parish: Wisbech St Peter and St Paul
Church of England Diocese: Ely
WISBECH MARKET PLACE
6/95 Nos. 23 and 24
(The Rose and Crown Inn)
Early C17 coaching inn with original gallery now sealed to
courtyard, refronted in c.1857. Rendered timber frame at rear
and brick painted or stuccoed. Street elevation. Local amber
brick; with red plain tile roof, end stack to right hand. Three
storeys with basements and attics; seven 'bays', carriageway to
left hand. Six gabled dormer windows. Dentil cornice to
central pedimented parapet. Stone cornice band. Seven,
recessed, plain hung sash windows with plastered reveals and
stone cills, at second floor, and similar but larger first floor
windows. Rusticated, painted quoins at ground floor and band
with fanned key stones above carriageway. Wooden fluted
pilastered doorcase with double, panelled doors. Plastered
plinth. To rear of courtyard. Early C17 building over rear
carriageway, with second floor pedimented three light casement
window with 1601 in relief and trumpet and pheasant applied,
metal designs, and first floor pedimented cross-framed window.
Two early C19 hung sash windows with trefoiled heads to glazing
bars flank street carriageway, and similar window to rear range
west of courtyard. Interior, fine late C17 staircase not in
original position; closed string with moulded handrail, square
newels, and splat balusters, turned at first flight. Two
original gallery room doors. Ground floor room to right hand
with complete bolection moulded panelling and very fine mid C18
marble chimneypiece. Panelling to other rooms including long
room facing Market Place with original mid C19 interior. Second
floor rooms with chamfered beams suggest an original
multi-gabled C17 facade. Rear wing c.1930 Trumpet Hall has
classical interior with segmental arched ceiling. Vaults,
extensive but within curtilage of building, brick tunnel vaults
possibly with earlier material and original walls including a
small lamp niche and blind arches.
A.A. Oldham, Inns and Taverns of Wisbech, W. Ref. Lib, 1950.
Sam Smith (b.1802, d,1892) photographic collection, 1887,
W. & F. Mus.
Wisbech Society Annual Report, 1950.
A. Peckover (Watson's History of Wisbech), p.494, print, c.1850.
Gardiner, History of Wisbech, p.25, 1898.
Pevsner, Buildings of Englands, p.498.
VCH Cambs, p241.
Listing NGR: TF4614209706
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings