This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.573 / 52°34'22"N
Longitude: -0.3419 / 0°20'30"W
OS Eastings: 512468
OS Northings: 298530
OS Grid: TL124985
Mapcode National: GBR GY7.QCH
Mapcode Global: WHGMC.QLDB
Plus Code: 9C4XHMF5+57
Entry Name: Church of St Kyneburgha
Listing Date: 15 December 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1126803
English Heritage Legacy ID: 49958
Location: Castor, Peterborough, PE5
County: City of Peterborough
Civil Parish: Castor
Built-Up Area: Castor
Traditional County: Northamptonshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire
Church of England Parish: Castor with Upton and Stibbington and Water Newton
Church of England Diocese: Peterborough
5141 CASTOR PETERBOROUGH ROAD
Church of St Kyneburgha
TL 1298 50/166 15.12.55
Dedication, unique in England to Kyneburga daughter of Penda, King of Mercia
and founder of Peterborough Abbey, who came to Castor circa 650, and founded
a nunnery, traces of which are said to remain in the church. However it is
primarily a Norman church with a very important Norman crossing tower, and Norman
north and south transpets, nave and chancel.
The nave has Perpendicular clerestorey and Norman west window with shafts and
below, a curvilinear traceried 3-light window. Norman south doorway
Decorated north aisle has 5-light square-headed windows. C13 south aisle has
4-centred arch window and articulated tracery window and lancets in west ends
of north and south aisles. Norman south transept with late C13 aisle on east
side with Y-traceried windows and south window with geometric tracery. Norman
north transept has Y-traceried window in place of Norman window, the left hand
jamb and half of arch of which remains. Norman chancel with tympanum-shaped
stone above a niche with inscription recording consecration date 1124, above
Norman south door. Perpendicular south window, north lancets and Perpendicular
5-light east window. C15 south porch with Norman/Saxon tympanum in gable
with figure of Christ.
Extremely fine Norman crossing tower in 4 stages divided by corbel tables.
Plain first stage, second stage has large 2-light windows with billet surrounds
and flanking 2-light arcading, above the arches tile-pattern ashlar, the top
bell stage has fine sub-divided arches the outside ones blind, above the arches
fish-scale ashlaring. Above the top corbel table a C14 parapet and short broach
spire with lucarnes.
Interior: the crossing arches have roll mouldings and demi-shafts, and capitals
have interlace decoration with leaves, birds and beasts etc and later ribbed
vault. Three bay north and south arcades, north arcade is Decorated and has
octagonal piers with circular capitals and double-chamfered pointed arches.
The south arcade has round piers and capitals with double chamfered round arches.
Moulded C15 nave roof with cambered tie-beams. C15 porch roof. C14 south door
with inscription in the border "RICHARDUS BEBY RECTOR ECCLECIE DE CASTRE FE(CIT)".
C14 wall paintings in north aisle. C14 octagonal font, with modern stem. Small
Saxon sculpture in chancel. Base of Saxon cross in north aisle with interlace
decoration and dragons, probably originally a Roman altar. Recumbent effigy
in chancel is said to be of Virgilius, Rector 1228.
RCHM (1) VCH Northants Vol II.
Listing NGR: TL1246898530
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings