This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.6315 / 52°37'53"N
Longitude: -0.4082 / 0°24'29"W
OS Eastings: 507829
OS Northings: 304942
OS Grid: TF078049
Mapcode National: GBR FW7.5LN
Mapcode Global: WHGM4.P3TX
Entry Name: Kingsley House
Listing Date: 19 March 1962
Last Amended: 24 February 1982
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1126879
English Heritage Legacy ID: 49840
Location: Barnack, Peterborough, PE9
County: City of Peterborough
Civil Parish: Barnack
Built-Up Area: Barnack
Traditional County: Northamptonshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire
Church of England Parish: Barnack with Ufford
Church of England Diocese: Peterborough
5141 BARNACK BISHOP'S WALK
TF 0704 39/56 19.3.62
Formerly The Rectory. Early C16 house extended in 1880. C16 cross wing is
to the north, coursed stone rubble with new tile roof with gabled ends, in
the end wall there is a C19 gothic oriel window. The C16 link wing has been
demolished except for its east front wall which is 2 storeys and 3 bays with
stone mullion windows and buttresses with set-offs.
Adjoining south, the main house was built in 1880 in early C16 style, coursed
stone with freestone dressings. Asymmetrical L-shaped on plan. Two storeys.
Parapets with moulded coping and string courses. East front has projecting
2 storeyed porch off centre with oriel with battlements and moulded 2 centred
arch doorway below. Gable to left. Two and three-light windows to right ground
floor have gothic tracery. The south front has canted bay to right, pointed
arch stair window at centre and gable to left with corbelled chimney stack,
all chimney stacks are crenellated.
The house was a rectory in the time of Rigus Fletcher, chaplain to Mary Queen
of Scots, rector from 1586-1590. The father of Charles Kingsley was rector
here in the early C19, the latter being five when he came here in 1824. His
younger brothers George and Henry were born here in 1827 and 1830.
VCH Northants, vol II, page 463.
Listing NGR: TF0782904942
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings