This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.57 / 52°34'12"N
Longitude: -0.2387 / 0°14'19"W
OS Eastings: 519466
OS Northings: 298370
OS Grid: TL194983
Mapcode National: GBR HZQ.SK7
Mapcode Global: WHHNK.9NKL
Entry Name: The Lido
Listing Date: 27 July 1992
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1126896
English Heritage Legacy ID: 49785
Location: Peterborough, PE1
County: City of Peterborough
Electoral Ward/Division: Central
Built-Up Area: Peterborough
Traditional County: Northamptonshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire
The folloing building shall be added to the list:-
PETERBOROUGH BISHOP'S ROAD
TL 19 NE
SP/1071 The Lido
Open air swimming pools, with changing rooms and sunbathing
facilities. Designed 1936 by a committee of honorary architects.
Painted and rendered brick with hipped green pantile roofs. The
buildings surround the pools on three sides, there is a large 50
yard Main Pool, plus a Learner Pool and a Paddling Pool. The
Main, west, range has a central 2-storey gateway and grandstand,
the west front has 3 central round headed entrances with
fanlights, flanked by 6-light metal casements. Above a tall
square clock tower surmounted by a pyramidal copper roof. Set
back to either side are single storey wings with continuous metal
framed window strips, topped by square piers with iron fencing
between. Either end has a square 2-storey pavilion, with a 3-
light metal casement window to each floor on both outer facades.
Side fronts have single storey wings with continuous metal framed
window strips, topped by square piers with iron fencing between.
Beyond are further 2-storey pavilions, with single 3-light metal
casements. The inner facades are linked by a continuous open
loggia around 3 sides of the pools. The central grandstand has
a snack bar on the ground floor, with 2 long staircases reaching
the upper floor which also has an open loggia supported on square
columns. The main pool has diving boards and various short and
tall octagonal lights. This building was built by Peterborough
City Council, and opened by the Mayor (Coun. A H Mellows) on
Friday May 25th 1936.
Listing NGR: TL1946698370
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings