This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.4579 / 52°27'28"N
Longitude: 0.3034 / 0°18'12"E
OS Eastings: 556604
OS Northings: 286934
OS Grid: TL566869
Mapcode National: GBR M5R.ZFJ
Mapcode Global: VHHJ1.6HS3
Entry Name: Church of St George
Listing Date: 5 February 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1127027
English Heritage Legacy ID: 49477
Location: Littleport, East Cambridgeshire, Cambridgeshire, CB6
District: East Cambridgeshire
Civil Parish: Littleport
Built-Up Area: Littleport
Traditional County: Cambridgeshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire
Church of England Parish: Littleport St George with Little Ouse St John
Church of England Diocese: Ely
LITTLEPORT CHURCH LANE
17/1 Church of St George
Parish church. C14-C15. Alterations and additions of 1857 by Teulon include
a new north nave and aisle parallel to the original. Mainly rubblestone with
some brick and fieldstone. Limestone dressings. Slate roofs. Plan of west
tower, double nave with north and south aisles, south chapel and chancel.
West tower of four stages with embattled parapet, rebuilt in brick, and
moulded plinth. Four stage angle buttressing and embattled half octagonal
newel staircase with quatrefoil lights to each stage. Open ground stage of
tower blocked in 1857 with doorway made in south wall. Two centred arch with
two wave and one ogee order. West window of three cinquefoil lights in four
centred arch, restored. There is a two cinquefoil light window to the second
stage and the bell stage has in each wall three cinquefoil lights in four
centred arch. Nave is embattled. Original clerestorey on south side of four
windows, each of two cinquefoil lights in four centred arch. The south porch
is C14-C15, much rebuilt. Gabled roof with end parapet on moulded stone
kneelers. Diagonal buttressing and four centred outer arch, restored, of two
hollow moulded orders, the inner on engaged shafts with moulded capitals and
bases. The inner doorway has a two centred arch of two continuous wave
mouldings divided by a cavetto. Chancel has a window in south wall of three
cinquefoil lights in four centred arch. South doorway with similar four
centred chamfered arch. The east window is C19 of five cinquefoil lights in
two centred arch with original moulded label and large demi-angel stops. The
C19 nave addition on the north by Teulon is of similar materials. Clerestorey
of six windows each of two cinquefoil lights in four centred arches. The
north aisle is embattled and has four windows each of three cinquefoil lights
in four centred arch and one window at east end with two similar lights. The
north porch is gabled and has a parapet. The outer arch is two centred and
has three moulded orders, the inner on engaged shafts to the responds. There
is a stone louvre to the east end of the north aisle. Interior: Earlier west
tower wall has C15 arch with outer hollow moulded order dying in the piers.
The inner order is on an engaged shaft to the respond with moulded capitals
and high base. The nave arcade is in four bays. Two centred arches of two
moulded orders the outer continuous, on piers of lozenge section. The inner
wave moulding is carried on engaged shafts with moulded capital and a high
base. The roof is C19. Hammer beam type with braced collars and a king post
to each truss. There are angels to the soffits of the intermediate purlins.
The chancel arch is similar to that of the nave arcade. The chancel has a
piscina in the south wall. Four centred chamfered arch. The roof again is
C19 and also of hammer beam construction, but the jackposts are carried on
original corbels carved with demi-angels. There is a four centred arch of two
moulded orders leading from the chancel to the south chapel. Part of a rood
loft staircase remains south of the chancel arch. The north nave of 1857 by
Teulon has, on the north side, an arcade in six bays with pier profiles
similar to those of the C15 work. The four clerestorey windows of the C15
nave remain but are unglazed. The roof is in six bays and has queen posts on
braced tiebeams with a king posh to the collar. At the west end of the nave
there are three C16 pews with original moulded rails and bench ends with
finials carved with poupee heads and one with a shield. The font is C15.
Limestone. Octagonal with quatrefoil to a panel in each side. On an
octagonal stem with moulded base. At the west end of the south aisle is a
large iron bound chest with the date 1672.
Pevsner: Buildings of England, p429
V.C.H. Cambs. vol. IV
Listing NGR: TL5660486934
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings