History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Old Engine House

A Grade II* Listed Building in Stretham, Cambridgeshire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.3342 / 52°20'3"N

Longitude: 0.2244 / 0°13'27"E

OS Eastings: 551659

OS Northings: 273009

OS Grid: TL516730

Mapcode National: GBR M76.PJR

Mapcode Global: VHHJK.VL0G

Entry Name: Old Engine House

Listing Date: 13 May 1988

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1127031

English Heritage Legacy ID: 49490

Location: Stretham, East Cambridgeshire, Cambridgeshire, CB6

County: Cambridgeshire

District: East Cambridgeshire

Civil Parish: Stretham

Traditional County: Cambridgeshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire

Church of England Parish: Stretham St James

Church of England Diocese: Ely

Find accommodation in
Stretham

Listing Text

STRETHAM GREEN END
TL 57 SW
16/15 Old Engine House
13.5.88
GV II*

Engine House. 1831 Gault brick, Flemish bond with slate roofs. In three
parts. Engine house lying between the boilerhouse and scoopwheel house.
Engine house of two storeys and loft. North gable has fixed metal frame
casement a stone panel incised with the date and the names of the drainage
commissioners and a tall similar fixed light window in round headed arch. The
boiler house has a lean-to roof and is of one storey with a tall, tapering
square stack on south side. In the north end are two cartway openings in
round headed arches, one now blocked. The scoop wheel house is also of one
storey. Interior: The interior is very intact and in near working order.
The low pressure beam engine is by Butterley and Co, installed 1831 modified 1909, the
boilerhouse has three Lancashire boilers replacing the first wagon boilers and
the scoopwheel is in situ. There is a band of original pattern anthemion
stencilled to the wall at dado height. This paintwork is original in the
loft, but repainted elsewhere. In a small brick built structure behind the
stokers cottage and semi-detached to the scoop-wheel house is a 200 hp Mirlees
diesel installed 1925, with Gwynnes pump. An Act of parliament was passed in
1741 for the drainage of Waterbeach level. The water was pumped from the fen
to the Old West River. Scheduled as an Ancient Monument County No 60.

Alderton and Booker: Industrial Archaeology of East Anglia (Batsford)
R.L. Hills: The Stretham Engine (Stretham Engine Preservation Trust)
Kenny and Hills: Stretham Engine (mss. Cambs. Coun.)
C.O. Clarke: Stretham Diesel Engine (Cambs. Colln.)


Listing NGR: TL5165973009

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.