This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.2257 / 52°13'32"N
Longitude: 0.3518 / 0°21'6"E
OS Eastings: 560730
OS Northings: 261212
OS Grid: TL607612
Mapcode National: GBR NB1.KR9
Mapcode Global: VHJGP.1BV4
Entry Name: Egerton House Including, to North and East, House Stable Yard and Staff Accommodation and Garden Walls
Listing Date: 25 April 1984
Last Amended: 9 September 2003
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1127099
English Heritage Legacy ID: 49240
Location: Stetchworth, East Cambridgeshire, Cambridgeshire, CB8
District: East Cambridgeshire
Civil Parish: Stetchworth
Traditional County: Cambridgeshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire
Church of England Parish: Stetchworth St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Ely
EGERTON HOUSE including, to north and east, house stable yard and staff
accommodation and garden walls
Small country house, built in 1891 for Lord Ellesmere. Painted red brick with applied timber frame decoration to attic floors. Red plain tile roof with patterned ridge tiles. Three tall pilastered red brick stacks. Two storeys and attics. Three-gabled asymmetric facade with boarded and coved eaves and barge boards. Ionic fluted pilasters to recessed main entrance with eliptical arch and key block approached by steps. Half glazed double doors and side lights. Five mullioned and transomed casement windows at each floor level including large two storey staircase window. Two hipped dormer windows. Moulded band between floors and plinth.
INTERIOR. Staircase hall with fine original dog leg staircase with balustrade with turned pine balusters. Here and elsewhere fine stone and marble French style fireplaces probably brought in later.
In the north east Billiard Room is a fine late C19 coloured marble fireplace and elaborate late C20 trompe l'oeil mural decoration with architectural framework, equestrian paintings and bookcases.
Attached to the north and east of the house are high brick garden walls which form an enclosed walled garden to the north and also link to the house's own coach house and stabling block to the north west and another brick walled garden to north. This stable block is U-plan, in similar style to the house, and is of red brick with timber-framed frieze and tops to gables. Plain tile roof with moulded stacks. To left garage accommodation with sliding doors, former stabling to centre under pentice roof and domestic accommodation to right with 3-light oriel window in the end gable and bays to ground floor on the outer wall facing the principal stable quadrangle (qv). Dormers over.
The house was designed with the stables and stud farm as part of a planned racehorse training establishment and was leased in 1892 to Richard Marsh, trainer to the Prince of Wales from the beginning of 1893 and later to George V and George VI.
Plans and designs for the house and stable block, unsigned,
Egerton Stud Estate Office.
Onslow, R., Headquarters: A History of Newmarket and its Racing, 1983, p.195-9.
Thompson, L., Newmarket from James I to the Present Day, 2000, pp.240-1, 251, 291-2.
VCH Vol.VI, p.174. Racing Illustrated, No. 5, 1895.
Listing NGR: TL6073061212
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings