History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Parish Church of St Mary the Less

A Grade II* Listed Building in Westley Waterless, Cambridgeshire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 52.1805 / 52°10'49"N

Longitude: 0.365 / 0°21'53"E

OS Eastings: 561792

OS Northings: 256222

OS Grid: TL617562

Mapcode National: GBR NBN.92L

Mapcode Global: VHJGW.8GT8

Plus Code: 9F4259J7+6X

Entry Name: Parish Church of St Mary the Less

Listing Date: 19 August 1959

Last Amended: 25 April 1984

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1127104

English Heritage Legacy ID: 49249

Location: Westley Waterless, East Cambridgeshire, Cambridgeshire, CB8

County: Cambridgeshire

Civil Parish: Westley Waterless

Traditional County: Cambridgeshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire

Church of England Parish: Westley Waterless St Mary-the-Less

Church of England Diocese: Ely

Find accommodation in



6/171 Parish Church of
19.8.59 St Mary the Less
(formerly listed as
Church of St Mary)


Parish church; chancel early C13, nave and aisles C14, west gable
wall rebuilt c.1855 after collapse of C12 round tower. Chancel
reroofed C19. Flint, brick and rubble walls originally plastered;
clunch and Barnack limestone dressings. Slate and plain tile roofs.
Wooden spirelet with lead covering and iron cross. Nave of three
bays, arcades with two-centred arches of two chamfered orders, octagonal
piers with octagonal capitals moulded on four faces, chancel arch
similar but with grotesques on capitals. Windows of north and south
aisles foiled-two-lights in two-centred arches with fragments of C14
glass and Flemish glass. East window of three-lights; C13 lancet
window and C14 ogee-crocketed-niche in south wall of chancel. Aisles
and chancel with foiled piscinae. C14 stone effigy in south aisle.
Brass floor monument to Sir John de Crete and his wife c.1325,
noteworthy for being one of the earliest, possibly by Walter le Masun.
Font C13, octagonal with lightly carved panels. Three tomb covers
C13 fixed to west wall. Graffiti inscription on east reveal of
easterly south aisle window records in C14 arabic the produce of the
church vines. Small C19 pipe organ originally from Reach Congregational
Pevsner, Buildings of England, p.478
VCH, Vol. VI, p.180.
R.K.M. Davies, The Parish Church of Westley Waterless, 1970.
RCHM (Cambs. Notes, 1951).

Listing NGR: TL6179256222

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.